At Global Fund for Women, our vision is a world where every woman and girl is strong, safe, powerful, and heard. No exceptions. We are a global champion for the rights of women and girls, using grantmaking and advocacy to propel global movements for women’s rights.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a highly experienced, entrepreneurial and dynamic individual who partners with the CEO and the other members of the Executive Team to ensure a sustainable, effective and mission-driven organization by being an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall financial strategy.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) plays a critical role in developing and implementing the overall financial strategy and is responsible for the financial stewardship of the organization. They will lead the organization's financial management and financial operations, including operating and capital budgeting, financial and management reporting, controllership, accounting, procurement, payroll, treasury (treasury operations and debt management), investments, real estate, tax, risk management, financial planning and analysis and administrative responsibility for the internal audit. They ensure that the Finance team’s workflow, resources, and systems are integrated with and supportive of organizational vision and strategic goals.
The CFO is a member of the Executive Team and works collaboratively with and provides financial advice and counsel to the leadership of the organization and other Executive Team members. This individual is the primary management liaison with the audit, investment and finance committees of the Board of Directors. They also provide strategic financial leadership and encourage and develop financial literacy throughout the organization. The CFO ensures the team maintains a customer service and solutions-oriented role within the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Provides strong strategic partnership and thought leadership with the CEO, Executive Team, and Board to support successful cross-functional collaboration
• Advances the quality, timeliness, strategic and tactical value of financial information framed in a way that provides context and analytical support to decision makers, including the Executive Team and members of the Board of Directors
• Leverages sophisticated financial resource planning tools and refines models to guide the executive team and the Board of Directors in long-term financial planning
• Provides senior counsel to the CEO and Executive Team on all financial issues
• Creates a service-oriented culture within the central finance function; works with the leadership of the individual programs to ensure that all financial professionals are working in support of the organization's broader mission and implementation of the strategic plan
• Oversees the development and implementation of financial policies, systems, and procedures that will support organizational stability and growth in finance functions
• Continuously evaluates and improves the staffing model, systems, workflows, and processes to ensure effectiveness, cost efficiency, and legal compliance
• Supervises, develops, and mentors Finance staff
• Approaches emergent needs and challenges with a positive, collaborative, and solutions-focused attitude leveraging partnerships with peers
• Provides good stewardship over financial resources
• Interprets the mission and strategic priorities of the organization to the finance staff and evolves the financial systems and infrastructure in order to support expansion and execution of the strategic processes such as procurement and budget development. Implements best-in-class management strategies and techniques that improve the quality and cost of services and the efficiency with which they are delivered
• Leads finance team in the development of metrics and analysis tools to evaluate departmental outcomes and goals
• In conjunction with the CEO, COO and executive team, assesses organizational performance against the annual budget as well as the strategic plan. Evolves the current tools and systems to highlight key financial and operational data and make actionable strategic financial recommendations
• Leads the organization in financial planning in alignment with the strategic plan, including forecasting, budgeting and analysis; identifies capital management requirements, cash flow needs and investment management approaches
• Aligns aspirations with resources in order to accurately model current and future initiatives under different scenarios and communicate long and short-term implications of various options
• Oversees all treasury activities including banking, investment, and liquidity management. Works with investment committee to optimize investment strategy for growing endowment.
• Ensures compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and audit requirements. Maintains internal control safeguards and oversees audit activities
• As Officer of the organization, acts as the primary signer for disbursements, contracts, tax documents, etc.
• Oversees legal compliance and regulatory filings for Global Fund for Women’s U.S. and foreign entities
• Keeps abreast of current market and industry issues, regulations and policies, and develops and maintains relationships with other CFOs within the not-for-profit sector.
Operations & Risk Management
• Regularly advises leadership on areas of liability and risk
• Partners with Development leadership to reconcile fundraising numbers and report on a cohesive, clear, and accurate basis
• Partners with Human Resources on compensation budget and strategy
• Continually improves efficiencies in accounting processes with IT and other solutions
• Works with insurance brokers to ensure that all insurance needs are met
• Participates in cross-functional work-teams and other teams as appropriate
• Follows policies and procedures
• Handles ad hoc projects
• Represents the Finance team in a positive way within the organization and in interactions with individuals and organizations external to the Global Fund for Women
• Reports to the President & CEO
• Direct supervision of the Finance team
• Staff liaison to the Finance, Investment, and Audit Committees of the Board
•Constructive and effective daily working relationships with all teams
As a Global Fund for Women representative, the CFO interacts closely with representatives of various financial institutions, external auditors, vendors, donors, and grantees.
• Advanced knowledge of nonprofit financial management and experience managing this function
• Stewardship over the preparation of timely and accurate financial reports and tax filings to the strictest legal and accounting standards
• High level of discretion and confidentiality
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present financial information effectively to Board of Directors, management, non-finance staff and external constituents
• Knowledge of international grantmaking
• Knowledge of and proficiency with a broad range of strategic, financial and operations principles, analytics and practices including financial planning and analysis, control, treasury, tax and audit
• Ability to analyze systems and create new strategies for improving operational systems
• Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
• Experience building strong teams, organizations and cultures, as well as collaborative relationships both internal and external to the organization.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
In an environment that relies on close collaboration among its Executive Team and its Board, serve as both a thought partner and leader among Executive Team colleagues by looking ahead and contributing insightful guidance in terms of long-term financial planning to move the organization forward; by anticipating and identifying trends, optimizing financial opportunities; and, by providing quality counsel and anticipating resource needs. Review and adapt Finance's organizational structure to better meet the priorities and commitments of the strategic plan. Possess highly developed and effective interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written; able to communicate sensitively and compellingly with individuals as well as large groups across diverse cultures. Exhibit a collaborative and flexible style with a strong service mentality, utilizing a creative approach to problem-solving and troubleshooting. Strong strategic, conceptual thinker who can drive quickly to a clear and concise synthesis of even the most complex issues and concepts.
Build the capability, contributions and influence of the finance team by proactively aligning financial systems and practices in support of the institutional mission and strategic plan. Build collaborative working relationships throughout the organization and inspire confidence from the program areas, board and other internal partners by providing excellent analytical support; instilling a service orientation into the finance team; identifying and implementing system and process improvements; meeting the needs of internal clients on or ahead of schedule; creating a culture of transparency, information sharing, accountability and efficiency; and, communicating and setting clear priorities and performance expectations.
Commitment to promoting Global Fund for Women’s mission and goals, including its commitment to diversity and to women’s human rights.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Strong educational credentials. Master in Nonprofit Administration, MBA or advanced degree in related field or CPA/CMA
•Minimum ten years senior management experience
• Minimum of five years of experience as a CFO or equivalent at a nonprofit organization
Global Fund for Women is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically encourage applications from people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, trans and non-binary people and other members of the LBTQI communities. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org