- Support of Campaign Activities: Your primary focus will be working with the UN Director and the Advocacy and Campaigns Manager to collaborate with our New York partner organizations to develop, drive forward, and coordinate our campaigns, mobilizing the resources of civil society to the greatest possible effect. This will involve supporting diverse advocacy activities, including for example: developing campaign strategies and action plans, including leading tracks of work; organizing meetings with key UN and Security Council contacts; representing Crisis Action in policymaker settings; analyzing UN Security Council Members’ positions and identifying opportunities for influencing those positions; media work, including drafting media materials; social media engagement; and supporting delegations from conflict zones to directly lobby policymakers in NY.
- Support in the Coordination of the Syria Campaign and Crisis Action Emergency Responses: You will also act as the central coordinating point for the Syria Campaign Team spread out across Crisis Action’s global offices. Additional responsibilities include: taking minutes on internal and external calls and in meetings with key organizations and individuals; monitoring regional and international news and tracking campaign developments and disseminating intel to the wider team; recording the impact of campaigning activities; attending events, representing Crisis Action in advocacy settings. and providing research around specific elements of the crisis.
- Administrative Support to the UN Office: Within the UN office, you will play a key role in making sure the office runs smoothly and will provide administrative support such as setting up conference calls, and maintaining contact lists, databases, and financial records.
- Commitment to Crisis Action’s mandate
- A degree in politics, international relations, law or a similar field and/or related experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of international human rights and humanitarian law, how they apply in armed conflict situations, and the role of the international community in upholding international peace and security
- 1-2+ years experience and a proven track record conducting high-level advocacy and/or coordinating effective advocacy campaigns
- Experience conducting research or advocacy on the war in Syria
- Ability to maintain partnerships with civil society groups to ensure their expertise drives and determines the nature of our work
- First-class interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to cultivate high-level contacts within government or diplomatic circles, the media and civil society
- Proven ability to analyze complex political crises, identify impactful campaign opportunities, develop innovative campaign activities, and deploy a range of campaign tactics, to achieve policy change
- Excellent project management and administrative skills and a high level of organization
- Ability to work as a collegiate member of a small team, and with minimal supervision
- High levels of efficiency, professionalism, energy, enthusiasm and ambition
- Resilience and an ability to cope with multiple internal and external demands
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
The following are desirable:
- Understanding of the challenges involved in developing and managing NGO coalitions
- Experience of working with geographically dispersed and culturally diverse teams
- Proficiency in other UN languages.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org