The Program Director will support the design and implementation of the AIM Initiative, an expanding program of American Leprosy Missions. The AIM Initiative is a global initiative to map case management of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) and support Ministries of Health to increase access to integrated NTD case management services. The Program Director will provide programmatic oversight and technical support to partner countries and oversee implementation of a new sub-award grant in a large consortium including 10 countries in West and Central Africa. Position reports to American Leprosy Missions’ Vice President of Special Initiatives and will be based in Accra, Ghana/Greenville, South Carolina, USA/U.K.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide input into the design of the AIM Initiative programs and strategy.
- Provide leadership in the technical implementation of the AIM strategy for the new grant in line with the overall AIM Strategic Plan, primarily in disease mapping.
- Contribute to the development of presentations and reports related to the communication and implementation of AIM to partners.
- Contribute to the development of key tools and processes to support the implementation of AIM and establishment of key metrics.
- Oversee the management, implementation and launch of designated AIM country initiatives.
- Maintain relationships and oversight of contractors and vendors where necessary.
- Support the development of publications based on the results from implementation of the AIM Initiative
Sub-Award Grant Implementation
- Provide technical and managerial leadership including technical oversight, developing the programmatic evidence for the AIM model as required by the grant, overseeing monitoring and evaluation functions, financial management, administration and grants management.
- Oversee coordination of field operations, provide support in the management of sub-grantees, and ensure that activities meet donor standards.
- Provide day-to-day leadership of the project: field operations, administration, logistics and procurement.
- Manage relationships and work with implementing partner organizations and Ministries of Health.
- Manage donor relationships and serve as the primary project representative.
- Oversee the development of project reports, annual work plans, and other documents as required by the prime agency and donor.
- Facilitate knowledge management, communications, and information flow for the project.
- Maintain a working knowledge of project budgets and expenditure, and assist finance staff to set up and implement appropriate systems for project financials.
- Ensure compliance in reporting.
- Support the implementation of the AIM mapping protocols, development and implementation of the Integrated Strategies for the Case Management of NTDs, and implementation of integrated interventions in designated countries.
- Ensure partner organizations comply with implementation, reporting and performance monitoring processes ensuring compliance with any donor rules, regulations and policies.
- Ensure the program team and coalition partners are regularly updated and lessons learned and best practices are documented.
Partnership and Representation
- Represent AIM at meetings and conferences with a diverse range of stakeholders, managing host country relations and AIM interests with government, international and local organizations, networks and media.
- Ensure that AIM is working within the existing national structures and guidelines for health and/or social development.
- Support relationship building with key strategic partners at both the national and international levels within a range of sectors to facilitate the effective design, funding and implementation of AIM.
- Contribute to the development of proposals for funding from targeted donors.
- Distill technical data and information to support results reported by the AIM Initiative.
- Ensure administrative procedures are relevant, up to date and compliant with regulations and best practice and being followed in grant implementation of all stages of AIM, assisting with development of new policies and procedures as required.
- Support submission of high-quality reports within AIM, American Leprosy Missions and to all relevant partners.
- Coordinate and manage reporting and compliance timelines through the lifecycle of the project implementation at various sites.
- Support the recruitment of consultants to assist in the implementation of AIM including preparing consultants agreements, developing scopes of work and monitoring work product.
- Grant activities executed on schedule
- AIM represented at official meetings with professionalism and excellence
- NTD Burden Reports completed for countries implementing mapping
- Grant reports completed accurately and on time with excellence
- Annual performance reports and work plans completed for direct reports
- At least two successful publications in peer-reviewed journals, related to the implementation of the AIM Initiative, are submitted
- Team values are lived out
- Collaboration – able to build collaborative partnerships within the ALM team and with partners to accomplish results
- Cross-Cultural Sensitivity – knowledge and understanding of different cultures and backgrounds; modify communication behavior based on an understanding of cultural differences
- Initiative – Without prompting, takes proactive steps to manage and/or improve all work tasks and operations. Is innovative, responsible and insightful.
- Accuracy – Demonstrates precision and correctness in work. Has the ability and desire to produce accurate work that is free of errors on a consistent basis.
- Adaptability – Demonstrates ability to adjust to and thrive in a dynamic, strategic and results-driven organization. Is teachable, receptive and pliable.
- Teamwork – Works cooperatively with co-workers, donors, end recipients, vendors, volunteers and others to achieve the organization’s mission, values and goals, showing favor, grace, compassion, cooperation, mercy and acceptance.
- Analytical – Collects, analyzes and uses data to manage effectively and efficiently; synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Planning and Organizing – Plans and prioritizes work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans; establishes and adheres to deadlines.
Required Minimum Education, Experience and Skills
- Master’s degree in public health, international development, monitoring and evaluation or a related field.
- Technical expertise in health system strengthening and/or neglected tropical diseases.
- Experience with disease mapping, GIS software and health system information management systems such as DHIS2.
- 10 or more years of relevant professional experience with at least five years of senior leadership experience including public health grant management.
- Proven experience in working together with host country government authorities.
- Significant experience in theories of change, logical frameworks and other project design concepts.
- Significant experience managing large-scale, multi-year projects, especially DFID and U.S. government-funded programs.
- Advanced report writing and editing skills.
- Ability to travel internationally, up to 25% of total working days per year.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Access.
- Basic accounting and financial reporting experience and skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills
- Post-degree in public health, international development or a related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of DFID and USAID project management including rules and regulations and reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous timelines and deliverables and to track program quality through donor approved monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, local and international staff.
- Proficient in speaking and writing in French.
More information about American Leprosy Missions: leprosy.org
More information about the AIM Initiative: aiminitiative.org
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].