You will report to the Country Director and will line manage Area Coordinator Unity, Programme Managers Juba and Yei, Shelter/NFI and WASH Cluster State Focal Points, EVD Technical Advisers and work closely with the Systems Director, Programme Director, Programme Quality Coordinator, Programme Support Officer, Country Financial Controller, and HR Manager. We would like you to start in mid- June 2019.
You will have overall responsibility for the emergency response strategy of Concern in South Sudan and will oversee the implementation and coordination of Concern’s humanitarian programmes. Concern Worldwide is currently responding to the humanitarian needs arising from the civil war in South Sudan. This response is largely focussed in the nutrition and shelter/NFI, WASH in both camp settings and deep field locations in Unity and Central Equatoria.
You will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the planning and delivery of emergency programmes in Unity and Central Equatoria;
- Ensuring the development and maintenance of effective and appropriate monitoring and evaluating system and overseeing the programme progress against agreed programme objectives;
- Leading and participating in emergency assessments and developing plans for expansion in consultation with line management;
- Leading in the development of annual sectoral strategies for the emergency programmes in Unity and Central Equatoria;
- Ensuring that crosscutting themes such as accountability HIV and AIDS related issues, equality and protection are mainstreamed in all emergency programme;
- Ensuring programme quality adheres to SPHERE standards, cluster guidelines and other international best practice;
- Ensuring community participation, sensitisation and collaboration in programme activities in a way that corresponds to the Core Humanitarian Standards and Concern’s CHS plans.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of a donor funding strategy;
- Ensuring donor proposals, budgets and reports are of high quality, up to date and delivered in a timely manner in accordance with donor requirements;
- Be responsible, in consultation with the Grants and Information Manager, for ensuring that donor strategy, donor guidelines, formats and processes are understood and being adhered to within programme implementation and procurement.
- Ensuring programme teams are undertaking sufficient and effective networking and coordination with local Government authorities, other NGOs, and UN at field level;
- Working with other Senior Management Team members ensure that Concern is effectively represented at national level with donors, clusters and at other coordination fora as required.
- Work with the Systems Director, Human Resource Manager, Area Coordinator and programme managers to identify project staff needs, ensuring that job descriptions are developed, properly qualified staff are recruited, inducted and trained as per the needs of the programme and the organisation;
- Manage direct reports with a particular emphasis on capacity building of staff through mentoring, training, and ensuring that all staff have up to date job descriptions and performance development reviews as per policy.
- Ensure that partners are properly supervised and supported to implement programme activities;
- Supervise the undertaking of training needs assessments of partners and the design and implementation of training plans accordingly;
- Oversee the monitoring of partners’ programme and financial reporting in conjunction with, programme managers, the Grants and Information Manager and Finance Department;
- Undertake appropriate assessments of new partners in conjunction with programme managers and Finance Department when appropriate.
- Oversee the production of internal, donor, cluster and other reports as appropriate in accordance with approved reporting schedules;
- Ensure that situation reports, i.e. security, personnel, programme activities, etc. are produced to a high standard and in a timely manner;
- Be responsible for the recruitment and supervision of external consultants/advisors;
- Manage external (donor, UN, head office, consultants, etc.) visits to the field.
Finance, Admin and Logistics
- Monitor programme expenditure ensuring resources are optimally utilized and spending is in line with Concern financial procedures and Donor requirements;
- Ensure that the emergency programmes are developing transport and procurement plans and implementing these in line with organizational policy and best practice
Security and Representation
- Lead the emergency programme teams in undertaking an analysis of security incidents and trends in the zone of intervention and surrounding areas, ensuring that line management is regularly briefed on the security situation and advise as necessary in relation to adaptation of workplans and movement plans as necessary;
- Participate in the revision of SOPs when necessary and other security related duties when necessary.
- Prepare for and participate in monthly and quarterly Senior Management Team and bi-annual Country Management Team meetings;
- Participate in country-level strategic planning initiatives and other duties as required;
- Contribute to organisational accountability initiatives, including overseeing the roll out of commitments of Concern under the Core Humanitarian Standard
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of Concern’s Programme Participant Protection Policy and Code of Conduct (P4 and CofC and Safeguarding), including the respect of confidentiality;
- Report to the appropriate manager, all violations of the P4 or CofC and Safeguarding policy, this is a mandatory duty of all staff.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Relevant post graduate qualification;
- Five years’ experience in a programming position with an international NGO, with two years at a senior level;
- Management of emergency programmes;
- Previous work in a similar context;
- Management of a diverse team of senior staff;
- Working with major international donors and securing external donor funding;
- Knowledge and experience of incorporating key approaches across programmes;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate others;
- Delegation, time management and prioritizing skills;
- Computer literate and good knowledge of Word and Excel;
- Excellent English;
- Empathy with Concern’s mission, vision and goals, and our target group.
We would also like:
- You to be flexible and reliable;
- You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others;
- You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines;
- You to have some sense of humour;
- You to travel frequently to rural field locations and spend periods of time away from the capital in fairly basic conditions.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org