Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in the Economic Development and Poverty Section (EDPS), Economic Development and Integration Division (EDID) of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA). The Economic Affairs Officer reports directly to the Chief Economic Development and Poverty Section and overall supervision of the Director of EDID.
The Economic Affairs Officer will be responsible for carrying out the following responsibilities:
- Monitors economic developments on issues relating to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and multidimensional poverty as well as identify area and identifies recurrent and emerging issues of concern to the ESCWA Region;
- Propose designs and carry out substantive, analytical and policy research related to the attainment of the SDGs in ESCWA member countries in relation macroeconomic policy challenges and multidimensional poverty and inequality;
- Prepare the League of Arab States (LAS)- United Nations (UN) Joint Regional Report and organize related Expert Group Meetings;
- Interprets and applies results of SDG-based econometric modelling to analyze the economic prospects and policies in order to enhance the empirical work that is the core of the division’s flagship publications;
- Develops poverty reduction research agenda to enhance ESCWA’s reputation as a think tank;
- Formulates proposals for development strategies, policies and measures for presentation to MP for presentation to intergovernmental bodies;
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings to hold discussions with representatives of other institutions;
- Organizes expert group meetings, seminars, capacity development opportunities etc. on development issues;
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff;
- Represents organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings;
- Designs and monitors technical cooperation projects;
- Undertakes missions to member states, either alone or as a participant in a diverse team, as part of the Organization’s technical cooperation activities;
- Prepares global, regional, national or sector analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on economic development issues;
- Conducts training seminars and workshops for government officials and others;
- Formulates technical modalities for the evaluation of individual technical cooperation projects;
- Supports junior staff, reviewing their work and providing feedback;
- Participates in intra- and inter-Departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the organizational unit;
- Provides substantive and other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work section’s service;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply economic theories and concepts in different sectors of economic and sustainable development. Ability to conduct independent research on economic topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics or related field. Specialization in development economics and applied econometrics is desirable, A first-level university degree in combination with two qualifying years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes or related area. Experience in statistical programme related to poverty monitoring and poverty reduction policies is desirable. Experience in Western Asia is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat, Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA. For the position, fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org