1) JOB DESCRIPTION
Purpose of job: to actively work to support, advise, and strengthen EAPN in its policy and advocacy work to achieve a Europe free of poverty.
- To be responsible for the policy intelligence, research and advocacy work for identified area/s of EAPN’s policy work, in coordination with the specific EAPN working group/s. (For example, quality work/tackling in-work poverty/new ways of work/education/training/lifelong learning and link to poverty);
- Support the Policy Coordinator in the management of EAPN’s EU Inclusion Strategies Group and in developing and implementing policy and advocacy proposals relevant to the specific work areas agreed together with EAPN members.
Information and Analysis
- To analyse and monitor relevant legislation, policies, measures, projects and studies at EU and national level, relevant to the designated policy area/s and produce policy briefings and analytical reports in consultation with the relevant working group/s.
- To develop and implement advocacy strategies towards the most relevant EU institutions and other actors for political change on key issues;
- To draft position papers/articles/op-eds/letters/reports;
- To contribute to EAPN’s campaigns, ensuring they are built around solid policy analysis;
- To build relationships with key EU institutions and strategic stakeholders, attending external meetings, collecting intelligence, and building alliances relevant to the different policy areas;
- To represent EAPN in key events and take up speaking engagements in order to disseminate EAPN’s policy positions in different settings, as required.
- To contribute to the capacity-building of EAPN members, led by the Participation and Membership Development Officer;
- To liaise with EAPN members and facilitate their active engagement in EAPN’s policy and advocacy work;
- To support the voice and participation of people with direct experience of poverty in all aspects of EAPN’s work;
- To contribute to EAPN’s external communication, by writing articles for the website, newsletters etc.;
- To share in the organisation, support and follow-up of meetings, seminars etc. when appropriate;
- To contribute to developing an effective team approach with other workers to achieve EAPN’s mission and objectives;
- Other tasks as deemed appropriate by EAPN.
2) PERSON SPECIFICATION
- At least 5 years at EU level in policy work.
- Experience of working in Social NGOs and in European membership-based organizations;
- Experience of working on policy/advocacy in an EU policy context;
- Experience of building and implementing lobbying/advocacy strategies.
- Experience of working with national NGO’s tackling poverty and social exclusion;
- Experience of national policy/advocacy work.
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Excellent organisation and coordination skills;
- Sense of initiative and ability to be self supporting;
- Ability to analyse, synthesize complex material;
- Ability to develop lobbying/advocacy strategies involving national and EU members;
- Ability to build relationships, networks and alliances;
- Excellent ability to communicate to a variety of audiences in writing and orally;
- Fluency in English;
- Good knowledge of French/Dutch;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work well within a small team;
- Strong organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to cope with competing deadlines;
- Ability to work calmly under pressure;
- Group facilitation skills;
- Presentation skills.
- Knowledge of other languages;
- Online facilitation skills;
- Personal experience of poverty.
- Knowledge of NGOs and NGO Networking, particularly with European membership-based organisations;
- Knowledge of EU Social Policy;
- Knowledge of EU and some national anti-poverty and social inclusion policies and practice;
- Knowledge of EU institutions and their functioning;
- Knowledge of the policy/decision-making processes in the social field (Eg soft processes like the European Semester and the Social Open Method of Coordination).
- Reports to the Policy Coordinator;
- Works closely with Comms Team;
- Works closely with Admin Team.
3) JOB CONTEXT
The person will be part of a team of 9. S/he will liaise with a network of very diverse national EAPN networks (in 32 countries) and 13 European Organisations, as well as engaging with activists with direct experience of poverty in EAPN. S/he will liaise with the statutory bodies and designated working groups of EAPN.
The successful applicant will receive a full-time permanent contract to work 38 hours a week over 5 days.
Available to work unsociable hours (i.e: some weekend meetings, time off in lieu is given). Availability to travel.
The person will be employed under Belgian law. The gross salary scale applicable to this position ranges from 2870 – 3017 € a month, depending on relevant experience. Further benefits include a thirteenth month, double holiday pay, a forfaitary amount of 123.95 € on top of the monthly salary for expenses related to the job, reimbursement of public transport to come to work, meal vouchers, an extra-legal pension fund, a hospital insurance.
Please send your CV and a motivation letter (no more than 2 pages) which outlines why you would be a good fit for the role and for EAPN to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
The closing date will be 9.00am the 22nd July and the interviews will be held in EAPN offices in Brussels, on the 8th August.
We are an equal opportunities employer and will provide any necessary assistance to applicants with any special requirements to participate equally in the selection process
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org