As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
The American Red Cross seeks a dynamic self-starter to support and expand the advocacy initiatives of the International Services Department. Based at its headquarters in Washington, DC, the Senior Advocacy Program Officer will work closely with American Red Cross International Services colleagues and counterparts across the international humanitarian community to raise awareness and promote the organization’s international initiatives to peer organizations, think tank and academic networks, government representatives and the private sector. The Senior Advocacy Program Officer will report to the Executive Director of Partnerships and Movement Relations for International Services and Services to Armed Forces and assist in expanding the organization’s engagement with broad membership organizations such as InterAction, as well as with individual humanitarian NGOs and non-profits. Additionally, the Advocacy Program Officer will work with American Red Cross International Services colleagues to map opportunities for American Red Cross participation and visibility, assess gaps in the organization’s outreach strategy, and help develop solutions for the identified shortfalls.
- Develop a strategy to promote and increase the visibility of American Red Cross international programs and priority issues among humanitarian, policy, academic, government and private sector actors. Develop and identify opportunities for American Red Cross international staff to promote their programs and expertise.
- Perform outreach and advocacy needs assessments to develop a strategy to use American Red Cross international staff and resources effectively and in alignment with organizational priorities.
- Represent (in person) American Red Cross in U.S.-based consortia (e.g. InterAction) and collaborate with like-minded organizations to promote American Red Cross international priorities.
- Work with program and communications staff to develop policy outcome priorities and implement strategies to achieve them using a wide range of tactics from private advocacy to public campaigns.
- Collaborate within the International Services Department and across American Red Cross departments, particularly Communications, Government Relations, and Marketing to maximize messaging impact and to promote American Red Cross coherence on outreach.
- Develop resources on international humanitarian issues and the global Red Cross/Red Crescent network to support American Red Cross chapters in reaching local policy makers and stakeholders, including donors, ethnic communities and young people.
- Lead the American Red Cross planning efforts for the Statutory Meetings for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Support the Services to Armed Forces Leadership Council with meeting support, stewardship and follow up
- Assess feasibility of an International Services Leadership Council
- Liaise with the Measles and Rubella Nurse advocacy program to lobby for consistent funding
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations or public policy is required; a master’s degree in a related field is desired.
- At least three, and preferably five years professional experience coordinating and executing internal and external advocacy outreach, preferably in internationally- or humanitarian-focused organizations.
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills and the ability to perform in stressful situations with tight deadlines are essential.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian issues and key actors is essential; knowledge of the American Red Cross and the global Red Cross network is beneficial.
- Proficiency in Spanish or French is highly desired.
- Up to 25% international travel may be required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org