Duties and Responsibilities
Provide advisory and specialized strategic support to the Regional Director and Regional Office:
- Advise, guide, and provide substantive inputs to the regional strategy and to the formulation of relevant, high quality, results-based and rights-based country programmes and projects;
- Prepare policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/materials for use in the development and presentation of a coherent regional strategy;
- Assess the country level and sub-regional level annual work plans and present and make recommendations and conclusions to assist in development planning;
- Serve as a member of the RO senior management team;
- Act as Representative of UNWOMEN at UNCT where there is no CO.
Oversee programme management and monitoring of the projects/programmes in the region:
- Manage and monitor the development of systems, processes and mechanisms to support effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and timely progress reporting; Finalize reports for HQ on progress of programme implementation;
- Oversee the implementation of regional programmes towards results achievement;
- Lead the monitoring of progress on mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators and timely action/decision and/or provide timely support; Identify areas that may require improvement and capture best practices/lessons learned;
- Manage the timely allocation of funds to offices in the region. Monitor and ensure the appropriate utilization of resources approved and allocated to regional programmes and projects.
Oversee the Regional Office’s operations:
- Oversee the operational services and ensure delivery of- financial, procurement and IT services-- of UN Women regional and country programmes and projects;
- Oversee all advisory support and oversight services provided by the Regional Office to field offices and HQ;
- Ensure compliance of all services according to rules, regulations, processes and procedures and UN Women accountability frameworks;
- Ensure that UN Women databases and dashboards are up to date for the region;
- Ensure that the services provided by the Regional Office are subject to regular assessment and improvement;
- Provide technical support to preparation of the regional budget preparation and submission process.
Advocate for UN Women’s mandate and lead UN Inter-Agency coordination and intergovernmental support:
- Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on -UNSDCF planning and implementation and promote joint-programming development;
- Finalize reports for presentation to inter-governmental bodies such as the Commission on the Status of Women, Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly and other policy-making organs;
- Provide technical inputs and support to the Regional Director and Country Representatives in establishing and maintaining effective consultations with governments, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on program development and implementation, resource mobilization and sustained partnerships;
- Represent UN Women in UNCTs in countries where UN Women has a programme presence as required;
- Act as Officer in Charge and represent Regional Director when requested.
Provide strategic partnership building and resource mobilization strategies support to the Regional Director:
- Provide strategic support to the development of regional/multi-country resource mobilization efforts to the RO and field offices as necessary;
- Review and evaluate proposals submitted to the RO and ensure timely and quality submission of programme proposals to donors;
- Ensure that donor reports from field offices are timely, quality assured and comply with commitments and accountability frameworks established through signed agreements.
Participate in knowledge management and capacity building efforts:
- Ensure regular assessments of regional and country strategic and implementation plans. Identify lessons learned and areas of emphasis to guide programme improvements and future strategic development plan;
- Manage the process of collecting and sharing lessons learned on gender equality and women's empowerment to build knowledge and capacity of partners and stakeholders;
- Design and implement capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in Results Based Management, results based budgeting, and systematic quality assurance.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely achievement of programme results in line with Regional Strategy and UN Women Strategic Plan;
- Quality and timely advice to the Regional Director and Country Representatives;
- Timely and effective programme planning, implementation, monitoring and timely progress reporting;
- Performance of staff;
- Regional Operations performance against set plans and standards, and issues are reported in a timely manner;
- Timely and quality reporting to HQ;
- Timely, regular and quality knowledge management initiatives initiation and information dissemination.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in a development-related area, including economics, public policy or other social science fields is required.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes some of which should be in the area of gender equality, at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds, Programs, or UN Mission;
- Experience with managing, supporting and overseeing development policy-making, programme and operations management, resource mobilization and partnership creation;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org