Remote, ideally based in Washington D.C. or New York City
Freedom United’s mission is to mobilize a united community against modern slavery. Working together in partnership with others and building coalitions, we channel the collective influence of millions to demand an end to exploitation. We influence businesses, governments and society to change conditions which allow slavery to thrive.
Freedom United builds strong and effective campaigns, to ensure decision-makers around the world take action to end modern slavery and human trafficking.
The Advocacy Officer will lead on implementing our campaigns in the US, and support the management of campaigns across the world on a broad range of modern slavery issues. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a team focused on using the latest in digital campaigning, working with fantastic partners, to help build a stronger, and more powerful movement to end modern slavery.
Location: Remote, Washington D.C. or New York City base.
Time: Full-time (flexible) to start ASAP
- Running our campaigns to protect runaway and homeless youth in the U.S. from being trafficked; to end forced labor in U.S. immigration detention centers; and to end the criminalization of child trafficking victims across U.S. states, and contributing to the development of new and existing campaigns
- Building strong working relationships with existing and new partner organizations and survivor advocates who share our campaigns goals to shape campaign activity
- Working collaboratively with all partners to identify opportunities to leverage the community to win campaigns
- Proactively creating opportunities to build strength in our campaigns through coalition building, support from partners and developing engaging opportunities to build public support online and offline
- Organize campaign actions and logistics such as public petition deliveries and stunts
- Produce social and email content, both written and in video format about the campaigns
- Be plugged in to monitor news and events to identify opportunities for new campaigns and developments in existing and past campaigns
- Respond rapidly and effectively to developments and campaigns opportunities, ensuring supporters are promptly informed, as well as identifying and maximizing opportunities for campaign escalation
- Keep updated with developments in campaign innovation and seek to apply creative techniques to secure campaign wins
- Be ready to carry out other roles outside these responsibilities
Desired Skills and Expertise:
- Significant experience in advocacy in the non-profit sector, using both online and offline tactics/technologies in the US and internationally
- An active network, especially within the US and globally that can help end modern slavery, and a proven relationship builder
- Strong understanding of the US policy process
- A strategic thinker
- Self-sufficient with plenty of initiative and drive to get a job done, whilst helping reinforce a strong team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English
- Experience and confidence with digital systems
- Efficient and comfortable with working in an entrepreneurial culture
- Understanding of modern slavery and trafficking
- Flexible and willing to do whatever is needed to achieve our aims
- An eye for detail and enthusiasm for getting things just right
- Commitment to our mission to end modern slavery and our values
- Action - We must bring together global voices as one to create power for sustainable change.
- Empowerment - We believe that the anti-slavery movement should be survivor-led.
- Community – Collaborating in strong partnerships and coalitions is central to our impact.
- Respect - We prioritize accuracy over sensationalism, rather we embrace complexity and nuance.
- Transparency - We value integrity, share what we know and collaborate wherever we can.
If you are a self-starter ready to work remotely with the support of a committed global team and are looking for a role where you can have an impact, use your skills and experience, and enjoy a degree of flexibility in working hours and the opportunity to work from home, we look forward to hearing from you. Working hours and time commitment (full-time down to 80%) will be agreed with the successful candidate.
Please email a resume and include no more than 350 words on why you should be considered for the position, considering the skills and experience outlined above. The position will remain open until filled.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org