The internship will focus on supporting the daily work of a multicultural team of experts. This includes back up support and research into EU and Member States policy of relevance to UNRWA programs/projects, and monitoring developments related to the Middle East. We offer full exposure to our inter-disciplinary and multi-facetted subjects and full integration in our highly-motivated team. You will leave having gained hands-on deep in- and oversight of how the EU is ticking. We therefore look for a motivated individual who wants to complement their academic knowledge with a reality check on EU policy implementation, internal and external awareness raising, fundraising, communication and visibility events: all this as issue driven work on Palestine refugees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in gathering and updating of information and contacts related to the EU Institutions, EU Member States, CSOs, media and other sources.
- Screening of EU policy developments related to the Middle East in general and Palestine refugees in particular.
- Monitor major EU internal policy and political developments and draft regular internal reports.
- Drafting of bi-weekly internal EU newsletters.
- Attending relevant European Parliament committee, delegation and other meetings and reporting back.
- Attending conferences, meetings and other events relevant to UNRWA and reporting back.
- Supporting advocacy activities towards European Institutions and other stakeholders.
- Assisting with communication activities, including the dissemination of communication material and the organization of press interviews.
- Assisting in the preparation of high-level visits of UNRWA representatives to Brussels, including preparation of substantive background documents.
- Assist with general requests for information pertaining to Palestine refugees.
- Assist with updating the office contact database and other general office tasks.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as European Studies, Political Science, International Relations (preferably with a focus on European Affairs and Palestinian/Middle Eastern issues).
- Understanding of the EU decision-making processes and foreign policy and/or prior experience working on EU related matters.
- Excellent spoken and written command of English and German.
- Good working knowledge of French and/or Dutch desirable.
- Excellent communication (orally and in writing) and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent research and drafting skills.
- Ability to work within a small multicultural team.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively.
- A quick learner with a positive and proactive approach to work.
- Excellent knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications and databases.
- Eligibility to reside and work in Belgium.
- Availability and commitment to a 6-month internship up to February 2020.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org