What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Support the development and implementation of advocacy strategies and action plans to promote a time-bound return to learning and other child-focused elements of the Global Compact on Refugees 25% of the time.
- Support country office efforts to develop and implement national level advocacy and policy work on refugee education. 25% of the time.
- Working with the relevant partnership managers, help develop and implement a child-focused strategy to influence the humanitarian policy and practice of UNHCR and WFP. 30% of the time.
- Help identify, cultivate and maintain relationships for Save the Children with key US government officials, INGO allies and internal stakeholders to help advance Save the Children’s policy objectives around refugee education, UNHCR and WFP. 10% of the time.
- Contribute to gathering data for strategic analysis and on information on relevant education and UN processes for SCUS business teams and both US and global advocacy and campaign working groups. 10% of the time.
- A minimum 3 - 5years' experience working in humanitarian or human rights policy and advocacy, another related policy area, the US government or the UN system.
- High School or Technical/Vocational degree
- Knowledge of issues associated with refugee education, the Global Compact on Refugees, and child protection.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 15% of the time to international locations
- Experience building relationships with key internal and external partners
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills in both traditional and social media platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Public Policy, Political Science or International Relations and/or relevant experience working with these issues.
- Demonstrated experience with influencing strategies targeting the US government and the UN system
- Representational experience and skills with both elite audiences and the general public in formal and informal settings
- Knowledge of or experience with UNHCR and/or WFP policymaking and operations.
- Project management skills and experience, including across various offices and cultures and/or in a matrixed context
- Proven knowledge or experience working on refugee/displacement issues desirable
- Experience developing training materials and/or conducting workshops
- Ability to work under pressure on a number of competing issues
- Computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office Suite (word processing, database maintenance, PowerPoint) and Outlook
What’s In It for You
- Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Paid holidays
What makes us special!
- Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
- Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
- Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
- Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
- Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
- Summer Fun Fridays – During the summer months, early release at 1:30 pm every other Friday!
- Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
- Ergonomic Options – Every employee at our HQ offices has the option of a sitting/standing desk
- Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
- Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
- Language learning opportunities
- Continuous Improvement skill development programs
- Brown Bag information sharing sessions
- Work hard/Play hard! We make sure there’s ample opportunity for fun, engagement, and celebration while you work, such as networking events, March Madness, World Cup, Dodgeball Tournaments, Take Your Child to Work Day, Founder’s Day, and our annual Day of Service
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org