UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Education
As a senior member of the Advocacy section in UNICEF's Division of Communication, the post holder will lead the development of an advocacy and communications strategy on education, and lead the implementation of that strategy. The post holder will work collaboratively with colleagues in UNICEF's Division of Communication, Programme and other Divisions, country and regional offices, external partners and others.
Responsibilities / Making a Difference :
- Develop an advocacy and communications strategy to ensure UNICEF realizes its ambitious goals on education and fulfills the advocacy goals of Education Strategy 2019 - 2030.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration between other UNICEF advocacy priorities, such as in child protection, early childhood development, and innovation, health and water sanitation.
- Provide strategic communication and advocacy inputs to the development and execution of UNICEF's global cause framework campaigns and communication initiatives in support of UNICEF's mission, objectives and brand.
- Explore and recommend ways to enhance UNICEF's overall advocacy, communication and outreach efforts: use resources strategically to optimize overarching results.
- Develop strong partnerships with key stakeholders whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
- Develop and implement communication strategies and plans, including messaging, audience analysis, products and services.
- Coordinate the production of advocacy and communication materials, e.g. videos, websites, publications, social media products and others.
- Develop, write and edit feature and news stories, blogs, advocacy briefs, reports and web content.
- Regularly liaise with other divisions, country and regional offices, national committees and other partners for content development, information exchange and collaborative communication efforts.
- Provide monitoring and evaluation updates and reports as needed.
- Support major events as they relate to UNICEF's organizational priorities.
- May be requested to work on weekends and holidays.
- May be requested to travel in line with UNICEF rules and regulations.
- Perform other tasks as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced degree in Communications, Public Policy, Political Science, International Development, Public Administration, International Relations or other related field.
- At least eight years of experience in advocacy, communications and campaigns, preferably at a global and national level.
- Experience in developing clear theories of change, with specific, measurable and timebound objectives and performance indicators.
- Experience in strategic public engagement activity, based on an understanding of the target audience.
- Knowledge of international development, humanitarian issues and children's rights.
- Experience working for an advocacy or campaigning organization e.g. international or national NGO, UN or other multilateral organization.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills is a must. Knowledge of an additional UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
- Experience developing and implementing global advocacy and campaigns strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to produce cogent and compelling text that aligns with advocacy objectives.
- Field experience is desirable.
- Familiarity with UNICEF's work is a plus.
For every Child, you demonstrate ...
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
- Strategic thinking and critical analysis.
- Highest-level communication skills, including engaging and informative public speaking.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Negotiates effectively by exploring a range of possibilities.
- Positive, proactive, "can-do" approach
- Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
- Seeks and proposes opportunities for advancing UNICEF's mission.
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, whilst maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Creative and innovative.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org