The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) is a core institute of the National Endowment for Democracy and is the international affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Operating at the intersection between democracy and markets, CIPE designs and implements projects around the world that help make democracy deliver the freedom and opportunity for all to prosper.
Since 1983, CIPE has worked to build the political, market and civic institutions vital to democratic societies and private sector led economies. CIPE’s key program areas include democratic governance, anti-corruption, enterprise ecosystems, trade facilitation, economic empowerment of at-risk communities, and opening political space in closed societies.
Position: Program Associate, Asia
Reports To: Program Officer, Asia
Summary: This full-time, regular, non-exempt position is based in Washington, D.C. This position is responsible for providing programmatic, administrative, and research support for a portfolio of projects and countries.
- Provide support for an assigned portfolio of projects and countries in the Asia Pacific region.
- Create and maintain program, financial, correspondence and contract files, both in paper form and electronically.
- Work in close collaboration with the Asia Program Officers and other CIPE departments, ensure processing of payment requests, travel expense reports, documents for signature, and international travel arrangements.
- Assist the Asia Program Officers in writing and compiling narrative and financial reports, proposals, contracts and budgets.
- Conduct background research as needed.
- Correspond with field personnel, partners, consultants and other stakeholders to coordinate project implementation.
- Assist in managing team budgets and oversee various project budgets.
- Track political and economic developments in an assigned portfolio of countries.
- Contribute to CIPE’s communications efforts.
- Contribute to an organizational culture of innovation, integrity and high performance.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams.
- Adhere to appropriate CIPE and donor policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, Finance, Political Science, or Public Policy.
- Proficiency in MS-Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- At least one year of administrative office experience, particularly in supporting international programs.
- Excellence in English composition, writing, and reporting.
- Ability to handle multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; team orientation.
- Knowledge of and interest in economic and political affairs in Asia and the Pacific.
- Fluency in one of the main languages in Southeast Asia preferred.
- Experience in and background knowledge of Burma or any Southeast Asian countries preferred.
- Interest and experience in women’s economic empowerment in the Asia Pacific preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the region as needed.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, two writing samples, and salary history to [email protected], with the subject SEAPA – [Your last name]. No phone calls please.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.