Program Officer, Economic Justice Program. London. Posting Date: 03/26/2020. Deadline: 04/09/2020
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your versatile, entrepreneurial, results-driven, and partnership-oriented skills? We are seeking a Program Officer
based in London
to join our Economic Justice Special Initiatives team. The team designs, initiates and manages a diverse set of bold, often early-stage, high-risk, high-agency interventions to advance economic justice globally.
The Open Society Foundations works to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world's largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights. For more information click here .
The Economic Justice Program works globally to promote economic systems and practices that build more equitable, sustainable, and democratic societies. I n pursuit of its mission, the Program makes grants to civil society organizations, supports advisory services to reformist governments, undertakes and supports movement-building and advocacy, and deploys impact investments through the Soros Economic Development Fund. The Special Initiatives team works with all of these tools, drawing upon the talents and resources of colleagues from across and beyond OSF to help enact many of the initiatives it pursues.
We seek a Program Officer passionate about economic justice. The candidate would join EJP's Special Initiatives Team of three people. Though small, the team works closely with colleagues from across the Program and Organization to lead a significant basket of work. The team is responsible for many interventions that either directly support areas within the Program's emerging strategy or that transcend multiple issue areas.
The initiatives tend to fall into three categories:
Responses to fast-emerging (unplanned) opportunities or challenges in the world; Seeding or scaling proof-of-concept projects to test innovative products, services or processes; Collaborative partnerships within Open Society Foundations. As a Program Officer at Open Society, you will:
What we are looking for:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Special Initiative team's overall strategy and planning.
- Build, manage and monitor, with considerable autonomy, the full suite of grant making, and operational activities related to special initiative projects.
- Convene partners, within OSF and externally, to forge coalitions capable of responding to opportunities and challenges.
- Assess the organizational capacities of key potential partners and identify opportunities to enhance their capabilities.
- Substantial years of progressively responsible experience in a field related to economic justice, economic development, applied public policy, or development finance;
- Deep knowledge and experience of civil society and/or development finance, and other actors working to advance economic justice; the ideal candidate should also possess more robust experience either :
- working for or with a reformist public sector entity, or
- having been engaged with the private sector, including investing for impact and/or forms of corporate responsibility and/or governance
- Complex project management experience;
- Exceptional collaboration skills, including recognizing the value of diverse geographic and thematic experience;
- Adaptability and ability to work in conditions of change and ambiguity, and to stretch oneself to adopt new skills which respond to changing circumstances and challenges;
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex ideas in clear and succinct ways with non-specialists, in writing and orally
- Willingness to undertake regular international travel;
What we offer:In London
- Grant making experience
- Experience working in multiple geographies is a plus;
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and brown bag lunches with visiting experts.
- 25 paid holiday, flexible work arrangements, private medical coverage, a generous retirement savings plan, up to one year of paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more .
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
See what a day in the life of a typical Program Officer at Open Society is like.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit a cover letter that addresses the specific skills and experience that OSF requires for Program Officers (guidance is located here ) and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We aim to build an inclusive workforce that is reflective of the populations we support, and actively seek applications from those who are marginalized and underrepresented. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.