Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
CI seeks an experienced and passionate fundraiser to join our high-performing Foundation Relations (FR) team. This position will work on the front lines of raising the funds needed to combat climate change and protect the planet we all rely upon.
The FR Manager will cultivate partnerships with, and secure revenue from, professional foundations based in the U.S. and abroad. They will manage a portfolio of foundations and will work—independently and alongside colleagues across the institution—to identify new prospects, develop cultivation strategies, engage foundation staff, lead solicitation of foundations and proposal development, ensure excellent donor stewardship, expand the number of CI’s foundation partnerships, and ultimately help increase revenue from this donor segment. The Manager will also contribute to the work of CI’s Development Division more broadly, which strives to bring more and more private philanthropy to the aid of Cl's mission—a mission that grows in step with the increasing challenges facing nature and people.
Ideal candidates will be collaborative, entrepreneurial, dynamic, accustomed to fast-paced environments, and committed to CI’s mission. They will also have experience working in global and/or diverse organizations and should be interested in joining a team where they can contribute and grow in the years to come.
- Raise revenue from professional foundations and build a strong pipeline of future opportunities.
- Utilize prospect research resources and other tools to identify new prospects.
- Support and lead the development and implementation of fundraising strategies.
- Build relationships with foundation staff.
- Manage and support the development of concept papers, grants, and proposals, including providing strong writing and editing support.
- Ensure high-quality stewardship and management of existing donors and grants in a portfolio.
- Track fundraising efforts in Raiser's Edge or related database.
- Prepare or support the preparation of fundraising progress reports and analyses.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Support the overall fundraising efforts of Cl's Development Division, which can include work related to principal, major, and annual gift donors.
- Be a source of fundraising knowledge for Cl's field and technical staff.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience plus three to five years of relevant fundraising experience required.
- Successful experience in cultivating and managing multiple prospects and donors simultaneously.
- Well-developed communication, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, and donor management skills are necessary for the success of this position, as is an ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and work with interdisciplinary teams.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, use diplomacy and tact, and build strong relationships with donors, all levels of staff, and volunteers.
- Knowledge of current trends and metrics in philanthropic giving.
- Experience with fundraising database software, particularly Raiser's Edge NXT.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and related programs.
- Experience raising funds from professional foundations preferred. Experience working with and/or on geographically dispersed teams, including across time zones and/or internationally.
- Demonstrated understanding of international conservation and/or development issues.
- Experience with in-person fundraising, even as a volunteer or student, is a plus.
- Experience working on international issues or abroad is a plus.
- Ability to speak a second language is a plus.
- Teleworking as needed during the COVID-19 crisis; normal office environment otherwise (flexible work and long-term teleworking arrangements are possible even outside the crisis).
- Flexibility in work schedule to accommodate time difference with HQ and field programs may be necessary.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org