The Programme Officer will be the lead in the formulation of in country strategic planning in line with FAO mandate to guide development activities and resource partner outreach for the FAO Somalia Programme, under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative for Somalia, working closely with FAO Somalia sector heads, Programme Management, Somalia sub-offices and relevant offices and divisions at regional, subregional and headquarters levels. For all resource mobilization and grant negotiation activities the Programme Officer will coordinate closely with the Resource Mobilization and Private Sector Partnerships (PSR) to ensure coordinated outreach. The Programme Officer will support the exchange of development solutions, management and networks, mobilization of upstream policy support, and fostering an enabling environment for the implementation of strategic initiatives.
The Programme Office is also responsible for providing policy setting, guidance and support to units responsible for operating projects.
The Programme Officer reports to the FAO Representative.
Strategic planning, Resource Mobilization, Donor Relations, Grant negotiation, capacity development and programming support.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, implementation and monitoring of corporate programmes and projects at regional level and globally in coordination with other Regional Offices.
- Monitors and analyses issues and trends within the region under his/her responsibility; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
- Contributes to policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, generates survey initiatives; reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Organizes and finalises written outputs, e.g. background papers, analyses, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach and communication-related activities; reviews and contributes to the development of learning materials, conducts training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads and/or participates in field missions, including provision of guidance to subregional and country offices and other parties and prepare mission summaries.
- Leads and coordinates the work of the FAO Somalia Strategy and Resource Mobilization Unit;
- Manages subunit teams covering Food Security Cluster coordination, information management, communication and donor reporting;
- Leads and guides the development of successful, results-based strategies and plans, in close collaboration with the FAO Representative, and Programme, Operations, Monitoring and Evaluation (M-E) and Compliance teams, among others;
- Initiates contact with potential partners to explore funding opportunities, in close cooperation with headquarters, leads negotiations of funding agreements and project proposals with governments, international organizations, private sector and civil society partners; maintains effective working relationships with key stakeholders throughout the project cycle;
- Engages actively in the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) Humanitarian Response Planning and represents FAO in the Somalia Food Security Cluster Review Committee;
- Reviews and clears Project Documents for consistency with FAO's vision and strategic direction;
- Leads strategic planning processes, with a focus on results and building alignment internally and with external partners;
- Supports national priority setting exercises in Somalia with government counterparts at regional and federal levels;
- Researches and analyses donor strategies, identifying entry points for FAO Somalia;
- Leads donor outreach efforts (including the organization of successful resource partner briefings), through proactive communication on the analysis, needs and priorities underpinning the FAO Somalia Programme, with a focus on results, value for money, lessons learned and FAO's comparative advantage;
- Oversees the formulation of strategic information products, distilling key information and messages on the FAO Somalia Programme for internal and external use;
- Liaises closely with FAO Resource Mobilization Units and teams at FAO headquarters, regional and subregional levels;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in public/business administration, political or social sciences or related fields;
- Seven years of relevant experience in coordination, decentralization, reform and programme matters;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme planning/design, facilitation, strategy formulation, strategic communication and/or donor outreach;
- Extent and relevance of experience in working with international organizations, government authorities, NGOs and other partners;
- Extent of experience in facilitating high level outcomes, e.g. multiyear organizational strategy with senior management, or a multiyear country plan with senior government officials and other stakeholders;
- Extent of understanding of the functioning of the United Nations system and in particular of FAO's structure, policies and procedures related to decentralized activities is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org