Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Gathers, selects and analyses information in relation to the universalization and implementation of the Biological Weapons Convention in Africa contained in communications and publications received from different sources, including the press;
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues in Africa, in general, and in particular as they affect the countries and thematic mandates for which the staff member is responsible;
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of assignment and provides inputs on issues to senior officials and colleagues in the Secretariat;
- Monitors relevant national and regional level political developments and provides advice to senior officials and colleagues in the Secretariat;
- Provides technical and substantive back up in the implementation of the project;
- Maintains contacts with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters pertaining to the project;
- Assists in planning, coordinating and supporting activities in relation to the project;
- Selects, classifies and stores in computerised databases and other web-based applications information relating to the implementation of the project;
- Arranges and participates in missions to countries within assigned area of responsibility;
- Participates in provision of secretariat services to conferences, meetings, and/or special missions;
- Prepares meetings of the SG/DSG/USG with officials from countries under the Organization's purview;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of national implementing and universalization measures in relation to multilateral arms control and disarmament regimes. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently;
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or other related fields is required. A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree) in the specified fields of studies in combination with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, multilateral disarmament and non-proliferation, security or related area is required;
- Experience in implementation support and/or project management in an international organization context is desirable;
- Work experience in the area of the Biological Weapons Convention and on biosafety/biosecurity related aspects is desirable;
- Previous working experience in Africa is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and knowledge of French is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org