Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, effective advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, Nations in Transit, and Countries at the Crossroads. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
This is a temporary, unpaid internship based in Washington, D.C.
The Development Intern will support Freedom House by working closely with the development team to engage with external stakeholders, assist with the completion of a fundraising appeal, prepare for fundraising events, and other administrative, communications, and donor management work as needed.
This position reports directly to the Donor Relations Officer.
· Intern must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
· Must be available a minimum of 20 hours per week
· Political science or international relations majors (or similar) preferred
· Experience working for similar nonprofit organization preferred
· Interest in Freedom House’s mission and knowledge of human rights issues
· Interest in development and fundraising
· Excellent internet research and documentation skills
· Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
· Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize and multi-task to meet tight deadlines
· Proficiency with MS Office and familiarity with donor databases (such as Salsa)
· Ability to conduct oneself with appropriate comportment and a high degree of confidentiality with high-level donors and prospective funders
Some Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist with a four-week fundraising appeal (includes producing donor acknowledgments and updating donation trackers)
· Research and identify prospective donors and potential funding opportunities on an on-going basis
· Assist with the creation and distribution of donor content for Freedom House, including a weekly newsletter, social media posts, and updated website content
· Update and maintain Freedom House’s donor database
· Assist with the planning and execution of donor events
· Other administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*