The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decisionmakers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The iDeas Lab, the award-winning creative and digital production department at CSIS, seeks a highly motivated and creative self-starter to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment as a Developer to start immediately.
The iDeas Lab enhances CSIS's policy research and analysis with the latest in cutting-edge web technologies, design, and video. You can see some of our latest at www.csis.org/programs/dracopoulos-ideas-lab or www.github.com/CSIS-iLab. The developer will work closely with the department on creative projects that tell compelling public policy stories, including dynamic data visualizations, interactive features, long-form media-rich digital reports, websites, and rich media packages, with an eye towards emerging platforms. You will work in a creative environment with other developers and designers who are eager to bring information to life on the web, partnering with some of the most respected foreign policy experts and researchers.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone with solid coding skills who is eager to bring complex policy issues to life using digital platforms and a drive to enhance their skill-set. The ideal candidate has excellent communication skills, technical skills, and is innovative and agile, with a passion for bridging the intersection between design and technology.
We want to do more. The successful candidate will be eager to shape a vision that focuses on telling knowledge-driven public policy stories. You’ll be asked to:
- Maintain and improve current websites and projects;
- Create new websites, interactive data visualizations, and tools that explains and enhances our research in engaging ways;
- Improve your current knowledge, but also stay current with the latest trends in web development and design;
- Notice what we’re not doing but should be, and do it.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Superior technical and design skills and expertise implementing digital projects with varying degrees of interactivity.
- Experience in visualizing information in compelling ways and write clean and efficient code.
- Ability to handle projects from start to finish, which range from in-depth database-driven tools to single-page applications; project representation is an important aspect of this role.
- Work closely with research programs and department staff to develop digital projects to suit stated goals and needs; communicating effectively with non-technical stakeholders is critical.
- Develop data visualizations, media-rich longform digital reports, single-page applications, or websites, including developing ideas and other interactive features.
- Support program partners with content management as needed
- Other duties and projects as needed
- A./B.S/A.B. in relevant field
- Minimum two years of relevant experience
- Knowledge and experience in applicable software and computer applications
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills; including effectively presenting information to non-technical partners, operating in a fast-paced environment and managing competing priorities
- Strong interest in global affairs and public policy is a plus
- Sound judgement, maturity, and discretion
- Zest for challenging assignments, with an eye toward creative and innovative solutions
- Strong attention to detail, initiative, and follow through skills
SOME TECHNOLOGIES WE USE AT THE iDEAS LAB
- JS libraries and frameworks like Angular, React, Vue, Highcharts, D3, and jQuery
- Open-source content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, Jekyll)
- LESS and SASS
- Adobe Creative Suite for design, motion, and video
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org