Equality Now, an international human rights organization working for the protection and promotion of the rights of women and girls worldwide, is looking for an experienced professional for the newly-established full-time post of Regional Director of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
The MENA Regional Director will launch Equality Now’s office in Beirut, recruit and manage a team of two program officers and an office manager, and lead a flagship multi-country program advocating for gender equality in the region. S/He will be a member of Equality Now’s Global Strategy Group alongside the Regional Directors of Africa, Europe and America, and the Directors of Programs, Communications, and Development.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
Guided by Equality Now’s strategic plan and organizational policies, the MENA Regional Director will play a leading role in defining and implementing strategies in support of women’s rights in the region. S/he will continue building and expanding Equality Now’s network of partners, policymakers, activists, scholars, and the media. S/he will work closely with colleagues across Equality Now’s Regional Offices in Africa, Europe, and America to build impactful collaborative initiatives and advocacy campaigns towards the achievement of systemic change for gender equality. More specifically, the MENA Regional Director will be responsible to deliver on three main work streams:
- Stay abreast of significant developments and trends in the region on all issues related to women’s rights, and identify short and long term strategic priorities and action plans;
- Lead and guide response to urgent and emerging issues with strategic immediate actions;
- Maintain relations with local, regional and international NGOs, activists, lawyers, and key stakeholders to advance successful implementation of Equality Now's strategic plan;
- Cultivate local partnerships and develop regional networks for joint interventions and strategic collaborations;
- Provide leadership and vision for the programs team to ensure effective and timely action plans;
- Consult with women’s rights groups, inter-regional entities, and relevant civil society organizations to determine value added to existing efforts and provide required support accordingly;. Develop and maintain relationships with local, regional and international NGOs and key stakeholders to advance implementation of Equality Now's strategic plan.
- Provide leadership and strengthen collaboration with and represent Equality Now on international, regional and national women’s groups and networks
Representation, Partnerships, and Fundraising
- Represent Equality Now in the MENA region and serve as its spokesperson, including with the media, government officials, and at high-level meetings and conferences;
- Lead Equality Now’s regional and national workshops and convenings, and bring women’s issues and gender related priorities to the forefront regionally and globally;
- Represen Equality Now in the region and representing regional women’s rights issues globally; L
- Guide and lead Equality Now’s public messages in the MENA region, including through its Arabic website;
- Identify and liaise with donors and foundations, and cultivate new funding relationships and opportunities
- Collaborate closely with Program Managers and Development Team to guide and support grant proposals, report on active grants, and oversee outreach activities in the region;
- Prepare an annual assessment report of funding opportunities, achievements, and shortcomings.
Regional office management, governance, and leadership
- Manage, oversee, and report on all financial, administrative, and human resource matters related to regional office operations;
- Ensure organizational compliance with Lebanese laws and policies, and follow up on all necessary requirements related to the registration and operation of Equality Now in Lebanon;
- Engage and supervise consultants and interns as needed;
- Liaise regularly with Finance and Administration staff based in New York on matters related to office operations.
Equality Now is a legal advocacy organization that works for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women and girls around the world. Working with grassroots and human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and girls and mobilizes international, regional and local action to support efforts to stop these abuses. Our work is focused into four main program areas: Discrimination in Law, Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Trafficking, and Sexual Violence; and a cross cutting focus on the rights of adolescent girls through our Adolescent Girls’ Legal Defense Fund (AGLDF).
Founded in 1992, Equality Now seeks to achieve systemic and tangible impact in its program areas to progress the rights of women and girls. We are undertaking organizational development to strengthen governance and institutional systems that enable leadership, efficiency, oversight, and responsiveness.
The ideal candidate for the position of MENA Regional Director is a passionate and dynamic advocate who understands how to make change happen at all policy, legal, and societal levels. S/he is an exceptional strategist and networker who can successfully strengthen the presence of Equality Now in the region and ensure the effectiveness of its mission. Specific requirements include:
Please send a résumé, cover letter detailing skills and relevant experience, and the names and details of three references with the subject line "Regional Director - MENA."
No calls please. Equality Now will unfortunately only be able to respond to short-listed candidates.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org