The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on public transit including bus rapid transit, non-motorized travel, travel demand management, parking, transport policy and urban development. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
Based in ITDP’s New York office, the Communications Director will provide creative, strategic communications leadership and ensure the smooth implementation of the overall communications strategy and plan. The Director will support regional office communications and headquarters with a comprehensive approach to media, online presence, international external and internal events, and annual communications outputs, such as the Sustainable Transport Magazine, newsletters, and bulletins.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director will manage the communications team of three and will be expected to work creatively and communicate effectively with ITDP staff across the organization, senior managers, partner organizations, media/journalists, transport officials, and vendors. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will work remotely until staff are safely welcomed back to ITDP’s New York City office.
- Lead ITDP’s strategic communications vision, positioning, and framing that bridges fundraising and program priorities.
- Mentor and manage the communications team; provide resources and professional development opportunities.
- Build awareness around ITDP and its mission by increasing visibility of the organization and its issues.
- Coordinate overall planning and support for regional offices and HQ communications needs, including managing HQ communications and program teams’ joint calendar, planning and managing regular communications calls with regional staff, ensuring the branding guidelines are adhered to, supporting regional offices with information, templates, and advice.
- Work with the development team on coordinating messaging and outreach on development campaigns and priorities.
- Work with regional offices as a resource to support and develop strategic communications campaigns integrated with program planning.
- Lead media relations, including monitoring the media, crafting press releases and responses, coordinating interviews with staff, providing data/info for media requests, cultivating relationships with key journalists, growing the media contact list. Provide media training to staff.
- Oversee external outputs and publications, including managing the magazine, newsletter, bulletin, website and some social media. Develop briefs, brochures, videos, and other communications collateral as necessary working with the Global program team and regional offices.
- Oversee the writing and collection of content, print logistics, art and design management; coordination with vendors, editing.
- Oversee the development of a social media plan, website, and blog and continually evaluate outreach opportunities. Ensure goals for content development and increased readership are being met. Manage and develop strategies to increase engagement and reach on all social media platforms.
- Develop media and outreach plans for events including talking points, press releases.
- Maintain and oversee ITDP’s brand identities – developing and managing brand standards. Work to develop organizational messaging and materials for various target audiences.
- Manage annual budget, direct reports, and external vendors, including website developer, printers, graphic designers, copyeditors.
- Lead PR around publications helping craft strategic communications plans and work with HQ and regional offices to incorporate and execute.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 7-10 years of experience in PR/communications for nonprofits.
- Undergraduate degree in communications, international affairs, public affairs, or related field.
- Superior communications, writing and editing skills for both online and print, including academic, research, and journalist writing style. Ability to write concisely and quickly on complex and detailed technical topics.
- Experience leading a team.
- Experience managing a website, basic knowledge of HTML and CMS (Content Management Systems).
- Ability to work quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with working with international teams.
- Attention to detail, experience as an editor.
- Event planning experience for nonprofit and/or academic, mission-driven events.
- Negotiating and people management skills, including working across different teams and cultures.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Knowledge of urban planning and transport issues, ability to understand complex technical information related to transport and translate that for non-technical audiences.
- Graduate degree in communications, international affairs, public affairs, or related field.
- Language proficiency in Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Indonesian, Hindi, Amharic a plus.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with “Communications Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org