The Society of Professional Journalists, the nation’s oldest and largest journalism organization, seeks a versatile, results-oriented professional to join our team. We are hiring a Director of Programs to execute the organization’s Scripps Leadership Initiative, oversee the awards programs, advocacy efforts and organization of Board of Director’s events, among other key duties. We seek a senior executive with high integrity, creativity and the ability to have fun and function in a diverse and dynamic work environment. He/she will be a member of the senior management team. SPJ offers a very competitive salary and benefits, including a matching 401(k). This is not a remote position. The office is located in Indianapolis.
Position: Director of Programs
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Program Assistant
- Work with the executive director on overseeing implementation of the society’s strategic plans.
- Analyze membership/industry statistics and trends (internal and external) to aid in strategic planning and decision making.
- Put together board documents for twice-a-year meetings and organize board meetings
- Conduct or organize board trainings when needed
- Oversee and coordinate Scripps Leadership Initiative
- Manage the work of the program assistant, whose primary duty is to run the organization’s awards programs
- Participate in and manage advocacy efforts
- Assist in the hiring of new employees.
- Assist development director and executive director in fundraising and grant writing; secure funds for new programs or initiatives
- Serve as support to the Executive Director.
- Provide support to the Board of Directors and committees as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of leadership and management experience
- Creative and visionary thinker
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects from inception to completion
- Strong, demonstrated understanding of social media and emerging technology
- Understanding of the media and its changing business model strongly preferred
- Excellent written skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to resolve problems independently
- Fundraising and event planning experience
- Ability to budget and track income and expenditure
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse workplace
- Ability to be discreet and to handle confidential information
- Marketing and/or public relations experience a plus
- Experience with a chapter-based association a plus
- iMIS membership database software experience a plus
- Occasional night and weekend travel required
Please forward your resume and a cover letter to Alison Bethel McKenzie by the deadline. No phone calls, please. Only applications with a cover letter & resume will be considered)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org