Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located within the United Nations Office in Belgrade, (UNOB), Serbia.
Within limits of delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Deputy Head of Office and under the overall guidance of the RSG/Head of Office the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Political Analysis and Advice - Identify, analyze and monitor political and security developments and emerging issues with respect to the implementation of UNOB’s/UNMIK’s mandate; Assess implications and make recommendations on possible policies, strategies and other measures to address issues of concern and to advance mandated objectives.
- Reporting and Information Management - Prepare in a timely manner summary and analytical reports including, but not limited to, situation reports, briefing notes, options papers, code cables and inputs for reports of the Secretary-General to the Security Council; Prepare and review contextual information materials, such as background notes and political profiles; Manage databases, including SAGE, and other tools designed to ensure accessibility and utility of information.
- Planning, Coordination and Facilitation and Management - Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with mission components, the authorities, political leaders, civil society actors, the broader UN family and other national and international partners on coordination and policy matters; Consult and cooperate with partners to develop strategies and plans of action to address political challenges, in pursuit of mandated objectives; Monitor, evaluate and report on implementation. Prepare and organize meetings, visits, activities and events for UNOB/UNMIK’s work.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, social sciences, law, public administration, or a related field. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, diplomacy, conflict resolution, development, or related field. Extensive experience in political outreach, facilitation, analysis, advice and reporting is required. Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programs) -or similar international or non-governmental organization- in a conflict or post-conflict setting is required. Experience working in the Western Balkans is highly desirable. A minimum of two years of experience working in a UN Peacekeeping Operation or Special Political Mission is desirable.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required. Knowledge of Serbian is highly desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org