Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at www.civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC seeks a highly-qualified, senior development professional to lead the organization’s Development team, thereby supporting the Executive Director, program staff, and the Board of Directors in the expansion of the organization’s fundraising efforts. The Director of Development will be charged with maintaining and expanding CIVIC’s engagement with foundations, governments, and individuals as well as with board members and other stakeholders globally. He/she will be a valued member of CIVIC’s Extended Leadership Team (XLT).
We are seeking a leader with the ability and vision to create and implement a long-term sustainable development strategy for the organization, the managerial and leadership skills to grow the capacity of the current Development team and, if possible, prior relationships with government donors, foundations, and individual philanthropists that could be leveraged for CIVIC. The Senior Management Team is dedicated to raising the funds the organization needs to achieve its Mission, and will support the Development Director as needed and appropriate.
The position is full time and reports to the Executive Director.
Job Purpose: Increase funding for CIVIC’s programs from governments, multilateral institutions, private foundations, and major gifts
Travel: Up to 20% required (primarily within North America and Europe)
Reporting to: Executive Director
Staff Reporting: Development Manager, Development Associate, interns
- Direct all fundraising activities to support CIVIC’s ambitious strategic plan;
- Lead development and implementation of organization’s annual and multi-annual fundraising strategy, including growth targets by revenue sector;
- Set and follow realistic and actionable departmental workplans and team calendars;
- Supervise, mentor, and train full-time development staff as well as interns and consultants;
- Build positive and collaborative inter-departmental working relationships;
- Implement systems and procedures that improve efficiency, in collaboration with programs and operations teams;
- Serve as an expert advisor to the Executive Director and Senior Management Team as well as a mentor on fundraising to all colleagues;
- Be a fun, motivated, and dynamic member of our team.
- Utilize your existing networks to identify new opportunities for CIVIC funding;
- Create new relationships, networks, and prospects, particularly with private foundations, major individuals, and their influencers, to grow CIVIC’s base of support;
- Proactively identify and understand opportunities to expand and diversify CIVIC’s governmental funding and access more sustainable sources of government support;
- Maintain a respectful, donor-centric attitude and approach that prioritizes sustainable and long-term relationships;
- Regularly generate and prepare for phone calls and meetings with high-level, decision-making contacts for yourself, the Executive Director, program staff, and/or Board members;
- Oversee the management of a database of contacts, prospects, relationships, and cultivation stage;
- Oversee individual major prospect cultivation strategies and regularly report on progress.
- Conceptualize and advise SMT and programmatic teams on what makes a strong, winning proposal for governments.
- Oversee and guarantee the quality and timely development and submission of government grant proposals.
- Lead and oversee the conceptualization and drafting of compelling proposals to private foundations, family foundations, and individuals to grow CIVIC’s core funding.
- Lead and oversee the quality and timely drafting and submission of reports to private foundations, family foundations, and individuals.
- Develop an effective strategy for cultivating individual donors and growing their connectivity and giving to CIVIC.
- Oversee and guarantee the quality of major individual donor outreach.
- Oversee the strategy for holding public events to attract a new base of individual donors
- Cultivate Board Members as donors and networkers, including setting individual commitments or fundraising strategies;
- Prepare select Board Members to meet with appropriate funding prospects;
- Supervise Board logistics and management by Development Manager, the current Board liaison, including staffing Board meetings as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of development and fundraising experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Solid experience managing the development and successful implementation of multi-donor strategic plans.
- Strong organizational abilities including collaborating, planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- 10+ years’ experience in professional fundraising/development to include applied knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations with foundations, individuals, corporations, and other sources, preferably in the field of international affairs and human rights.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all levels of staff in a multicultural environment and to maintain a calm, reassuring, and objective attitude in all situations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and appropriate self-confidence and maturity so as to effectively communicate CIVIC’s vision at all levels and across organizational lines in a manner inspiring to staff, board, donors and stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks requiring a high degree of attention to detail with changing levels of priority.
- Technologically proficient including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel. Salesforce experience preferred.
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to include excellent health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life insurance, a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary), and paid leave plus twelve paid holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org