Position Summary & Responsibilities
Located in Washington, D.C., the Associate Program Officer (APO) will report to the Deputy Director of Policy, Systems and Giving by All.
The APO will support the efforts of the Philanthropic Partnerships Team to encourage philanthropy in the United States and internationally. This role will focus on two principle activities: 1) supporting the policy initiative to ensure a favorable policy and regulatory environment for charitable giving in the US and other geographies, and 2) supporting the team’s Giving By All initiative, which increases understanding of donor behavior and encourages innovation for giving.
- Capture data coming in from grants, contracts and partners. Analyze data in excel and other programs. Use data to explore team’s strategic hypotheses and support better decision making;
- Support the shaping of the team MLE strategy. Help design and operationalize processes and systems which will feed data and analysis from grants and research back into key strategy and portfolio management decisions;
- Conduct research and analysis in support of Philanthropic Partnerships team, including research on internal and external environment for trends related to philanthropy; advise on strategy updates based on this intelligence;
- Prepare regular reports and presentations for a variety of purposes and audiences, summarizing facts, developments and recommendations for program issues.
- Manage grants and contracts including reviewing proposals, drafting internal analyses, and driving the proposal management process with internal and external partners. Track the appropriate documentation, budgeting and reporting of grants and contracts;
- Provide project management for events or special projects, as needed;
- Assist with preparation for foundation leadership participation in events, trips and meetings with partners and other stakeholders; preparation to include the development of briefs, talking points and data packages;
- This role is responsible for high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with stakeholders within the foundation.
Leadership and Culture
- We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Strong attention to detail, logical, systematic thinking and project management while overseeing multiple priorities in a highly dynamic environment;
- Creativity and ability to easily adapt to changing environment;
- Intellectual quickness, curiosity, discipline, resourcefulness and resilience;
- Excellent analytical, writing & verbal skills for communicating with a broad & diverse audience;
- Demonstrated experience in high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with grantees, contractors and partners in the field;
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, enthusiasm, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a team effort;
- Discretion in managing confidential and sensitive initiatives and relationships;
- A sense of humor and flexibility to adapt to a very dynamic environment A deep commitment to the overall mission of the Philanthropic Partnerships Team, and an approach consistent with the foundation’s guiding principles;
- Ability to travel up to 25% domestically, and 5% internationally.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 3+ years of experience, or equivalent experience;
- A track record of executing difficult, time bound tasks dependent on a wide variety of stakeholders;
- Work experience supporting highly skilled and demanding client base or team members with diverse backgrounds, assessment of ground-breaking, emerging strategic and financial issues in a complex and evolving environment;
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis to inform decision-making;
- Understanding of emerging trends in philanthropic giving, donor investment, and emerging investment options such as national donor-advised funds, community foundations, and impact investing is a plus;
- Previous grantmaking experience is a plus.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org