The Communications Assistant works closely with the Communications Director to develop and implement communications strategies to IGD's key constituencies – IGD Frontier Leaders; global business leaders operating on the African continent; African, U.S. and multilateral official; U.S. elected and agency officials, among others.
The Assistant's primary responsibilities will be in supporting the Communications Director in marketing and communications in an effort to elevate IGD's thought leadership, best practices and policy efforts among key audiences and drive attendance at Frontier 100 Forums.
• Collaboratively manage and coordinate creation and update of web-content; responsible for content-related protocols to keep web site up-to-date
• Work with website developer to ensure ongoing improvement of website, including phased updates
• Lead IGD's social media engagement
• Actively monitor IGD's online presence
Frontier 100 Forum:
• Assist in the marketing efforts of IGD Frontier 100 Forum
• Working with the Forum planning team, manage the administrative tasks related to the forum.
•On-site assistance during the forum
Communications and Advocacy campaign:
• Support the Communications Director in launching the "Africa Investment Rising" campaign.
•Track U.S.-Africa policy related to Africa trade and investment legislation and create policy eblasts to inform Frontier Leaders of the status and meaning of important bills and hearings
•Assist in the outreach to potential partners for Africa Investment Rising campaign
• Write blogs for website and social media
• Assist in maintaining the editorial calendar for content development
• Coordinate potential guest contributions to IGD blog
• Basic graphic design and video production skills, a plus
ABOUT Initative for Global Development
The Initiative for Global Development (IGD) is a Washington, DC-based nonprofit organization that engages and harnesses the power of the private sector to create sustainable development and inclusive growth in Africa through business investment. IGD brings together an influential Frontier Leader network of CEOs and senior executives from leading African and global companies to catalyze greater business investment and impact on the continent. Members of our Frontier Leaders Network shape global connections and frontier market insights.
Through our Frontier 100 Forums, we convene CEOs and senior executives from leading African and global companies from our Frontier Leader Network and high-level representatives of government and multilateral organizations to advance a business-driven development agenda on the African continent.
Bachelor's or advanced degree, preferably in marketing, English/journalism, or a related communications field
• 2-3 years of marketing, communications, media or public relations experience
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Self-starter, creative thinking and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated interest in multimedia storytelling
• Familiarity Windows operating systems, HTML, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop.
Interested candidates should forward your application package with "Communications Assistant - Consultant" and last name in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Your application package must include (incomplete applications will not be considered):
● Cover letter
● 4-5 writing samples