The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, advocacy, business associations, corporate governance, democratic governance, access to information, the informal sector and property rights, and women and youth.
Reports to: Operations Manager, Grants & Finance
Scope: This position is based in Washington, D.C. The Operations will provide operational support to CIPE’s DC and overseas offices to ensure the regular functioning of CIPE’s offices. This position is an integral part of the Operations team.
This position is a key member of the DC based team responsible for the following:
- Develop CIPE’s duty of care portfolio through the development, strengthening, implementation, and maintenance of safety and security systems, policies and procedures, protocols, tools, and trainings
- Serve as the organization’s 24/7 focal point, contact person and expert resource to approximately 100 CIPE staff around the globe for safety and security matters
- Liaise with NGO/INGOs and other relevant partners on matters of safety and security and remain informed of global safety/security events and trends at all times
- Build global organizational capacity on safety/security topics and provide ongoing, tailored mentorship to network of US and field-based security leads.
- Support all CIPE’s offices to strengthen and operationalize office safety and security plans and protocols. Work with Country Directors and/or management to ensure implementation across all CIPE’s offices, business locations or events
- Regularly evaluate and support revisions to organizational safety and security plans including those that ensure business continuity such as disaster, pandemic or other local contingency plans
- Leverage technology solutions and maintain internal knowledge pertaining to safety and security
- Assist in risk prevention and manage corporate insurance policies relating to the safety and security of CIPE’s personnel and property
- Manage CIPE’s office’s security contractors, systems and logistics, including conducting relevant safety/security trainings and drills, management of the surveillance and alarm equipment and systems
- Provide orientation and safety and security briefings for staff new to CIPE and those traveling to other countries-ensure controls are in place to monitor staff travel and movement, as necessary
- Establish solid systems, processes, and protocols for disseminating and communicating appropriate safety and security information to staff
- Work closely with other departments and offices, including the Human Resources, for best practices, training, communication and support of staff
- Conduct and support assessments of CIPE’s existing and new offices and provide technical assistance as needed
- Address gaps and implement changes in organizational and employee safety/security policies, systems plans, and strategies
- Proactively manage and/or find innovative and pragmatic solutions to various security situations or matters
- Overseas procurement and maintenance of safety and security related supplies including but not limited to shelter in place supplies at office and residence, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers, first aid kits, etc. Keeps supplies fresh.
- Fulfill other related functions as required
- Develop & maintain Operations Manual under the guidance of the Operations Manager
- Manage year-end physical inventory
- Develop a record retention policy for each field office in collaboration with Operations Manager and Regional Finance Officer
- Maintain off-site storage records, including the shipment and retrieval of boxes as needed; Manage the process of sending files to off-site storage
- Monitor and manage asset inventory of field offices
- Assist Operations Manager with other projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience preferred
- At least five years’ relevant work experience, of which at least two are in an international, safety/security management function
- Experience developing and implementing security mechanisms, including methods of reporting and handling safety and security incidents and emergencies
- Highly organized and a self- starter - you strive to make systems better and build employee and organizational capacity
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed; including high risk areas
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills
- Aptitude for clear and effective writing under time-sensitive conditions
- Superior telephone and face-to-face verbal communication skills, including experience clarifying information in a friendly and positive manner
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality when needed
- Ability to work in a team environment
- International NGO experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with all levels of staff
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong project management skills preferred
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and supervise junior staff
- Strong computer skills, plus proficiency in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint and other communication programs and applications such as Skype, Slack and WhatsApp
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, and salary history to [email protected]; subject “OpsOfficer-[YOURLASTNAME]”.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.