The Chief of Party is the leader of the entire project team, the team’s interlocutor with USAID, and is responsible for establishing and maintaining constructive relations with counterparts across the different regions of Syria. The COP will be responsible for overall project management, quality and timeliness of deliverables, external representation, and coordination with USAID. S/he will provide strategic vision for managing activities and will ensure the quality of work and compliance with contractual obligations and results, and will be responsible for the quality and performance of work that is sub-contracted to other partners. It is critical that the candidate has solid experience implementing successful livelihoods strengthening, resilience building, and value chain interventions in fragile or conflict environments.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Chief of Party will report to the Project Director based in Washington, DC.
S/he will be accountable for achieving a number of project outcomes which include but is not limited to:
- Strengthened opportunities in livelihoods and value chains critical to food security, including increased diversification of productive assets and practices and improved agriculture related dietary diversity;
- Increased private sector development and positive economic interdependencies and practices;
- Improved capacity along the agribusiness value chain;
- Strengthen market access and functionality; and
- Strengthened data collection and dissemination, including market, post-harvest, seed system, value chain, and/or livelihoods assessment(s) and action research to inform program and future programming.
- Provides overall leadership and strategic technical direction for the project and ensures the achievement of program objectives and targets with management and technical support;
- Directly supervises and coordinates the work of key personnel, and ensures appropriate collaboration across project team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input;
- Takes a primary leadership role in liaising with government institutions and senior-level national and county-level government officials and in coordination among USAID and key stakeholders and other implementing partners.
- Ensures daily operations of overall program implementation activities are on schedule and that reports and budgets are prepared with sufficient lead time to get the necessary approvals;
- Supervises development and submission of project deliverables and provides timely and accurate reporting and briefings to the client and other stakeholders on all program areas;
- Demonstrates diplomacy and leadership to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, productivity, creativity, fairness, equity, and innovation, and support for diversity; and
- Oversees implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provides leadership in handling security-related issues.
- Masters’ degree in business, agriculture, economics, or other relevant field;
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the humanitarian and development fields, preferably implementing complex economic growth or livelihoods assistance projects in developing countries;
- At least 5 years of experience managing teams, including experience managing expatriate and local staff in conflict zones;
- At least 3 years of experience working in conflict zones;
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills;
- Experience in project design and implementation—including financial management experience, such as budgeting; tracking, reporting and accounting; and procurement—for US government projects desirable;
- Previous experience on programs implemented in Syria desirable;
- Previous experience managing sub-contractors desirable;
- Experience working collaboratively with host country governments and the local private sector, and coordinating activities with other donors; and
- Experience managing projects and/or an office with culturally diverse teams and working with counterparts from other cultures.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*