Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Planning and Programme Guidance Unit (PPGU) within the Programme Division is responsible for supporting strategic planning and for monitoring and corporate reporting for the Strategic Plan (SP), ensuring the application of results-based management (RBM) in these and related processes.
UN Women is submitting its new Strategic Plan 2018-2021 to the Executive Board at its Annual Session in June 2017. Following this, complete baselines and targets will be developed, among others, to finalize the SP for approval. At the same time, new Strategic Notes and Annual Work Plans of field offices for 2018, aligned with the new SP, will be developed.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Specialist, the consultant will provide support services to PPGU as detailed below.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the assignment is to support PPGU in ensuring the quality of plans, programmes and reports from the RBM perspective.
- Support the finalization of the new SP 2018-20121, e.g., draft briefing notes, background documents and presentation for management for the Executive board meetings on the new SP.
- Contribute and provide input for drafting/updating Guidance Note on Preparation of Strategic Notes and Annual Work Plans.
- Assist in organization of Programme Appraisal meetings, ensure completeness of submitted documentation, provide input for PAC review and draft PAC minutes.
- Provide input for review of programming component of Progamme and Operations Manual.
- Support in maintaining network of regional planning and coordination community of practice.
- Contribute to capacity development of UN Women staff on applying principles of good programming, including identification of gaps in programmatic capacity.
- Support successful management of the project, Strengthened Results-Based Management (RBM) for UN Women project including initial drafting of final report.
- Provide input to synthesize and analyze monitoring data from countries from the RMS Monitoring Module, and support preparation of management briefs to inform decision-making.
Core values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making;
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent organizational skills and sound judgment;
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to prioritize and work independently;
- Ability to write and present information in a clear manner;
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the unit and to take proactive steps.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (at least a Master’s degree) in social development, gender and development, international affairs and development, economics, business, or other related field.
- At least 2 years’ professional experience related to international development, including gender and development and other related areas
- Good knowledge of RBM and experience in its application in strategic planning, programming, monitoring, and reporting; Familiarity with results management system an asset
- Knowledge and experience in programming and programme management
- Experience in working with development institutions, e.g., UN agencies, multilateral/bilateral development institutions, etc.
- Proficiency in using PC computers and Microsoft Office Suite software programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Ability to draft reports.
- Organizational skills, e.g., organize meetings.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*