The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Resident Citizen Engagement Advisor to join its Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) team to manage and design programs for civic activism and advocacy in areas with closed or closing democratic space within the Latin American and Caribbean region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides technical, financial and administrative support and oversight for assigned programs.
- Guides curriculum development for civic participation and advocacy skills-building trainings.
- Oversees implementation of assigned program activities.
- Responds to NDI staff inquiries requiring functional or regional expertise.
- Contributes to the planning, design and evaluation of NDI’s projects for the region in collaboration with local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations and other program stakeholders, including NDI’s network of volunteer trainers and experts.
- Monitors assigned region’s program budgets; provides a full, accurate and timely accounting of all funds.
- Monitors political events in assigned regional department.
- Represents NDI as appropriate and assists with NDI’s public outreach.
- Drafts, edits and contributes to NDI written materials.
- Travels to the region as appropriate to participate in program activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in International Relations or related subject; graduate degree desired.
- Minimum of ten (10) years relevant work experience in international development, advocacy programs, and organizational development. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis.
- Experience working and guiding program activities in closed society contexts.
- Living or working experience outside of the U.S. preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of NDI staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy makers.
- Superior oral communications skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and negotiate.
- Advanced competency in one or more areas of NDI’s functional programs, in addition to a highly developed knowledge of LAC political environment and people.
- Advanced analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues and thinking innovatively and creatively.
- Superior writing skills, clear and persuasive and experienced enough to edit all types of team documents.
- Established network, through years of experience, of significant contacts and political leaders.
- Experienced management and leadership skills in order to lead, inspire and motivate team members and program participants.
- Experience in program design and how to strategize.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
- Seasoned budget and accounting skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which are often remote and difficult to reach.
- Native Spanish language speaking skills required; professional level English written and oral communication skills preferred.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*