The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is Worldwide. (Military Spouse Preference (MSP), Involuntarily Separated Military Preference (ISMP) and Family Member Preference eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)
This position is located at Stars and Stripes Pacific, Yokosuka, Japan.
- Reports and writes stories that adhere to the highest principles of professional journalistic ethics.
- Aggressively responds to breaking spot news.
- Reports feature stories that provide diversity and broad audience appeal.
- Provides photographs to accompany stories and looks for opportunities to supply stand-alone feature or news photographs.
- Regularly produces profile stories and longer pieces on significant newsmakers and leaders within the coverage area.
- Develops sources and contacts within the civilian and military coverage area.
- Strives to establish a professional working relationship and maintains regular communication with key military public affairs officers.
- Builds strong public relations within the serviced community.
- Files daily and weekly story budgets with supervising assignment editor. Coordinates daily with editors to review assignments covering U.S. military personnel and issues within the bureau coverage area.
- Deploys for coverage of significant events of interest to the reading audience.
- Provides a local voice and stays abreast of regional, national and international news for possible impact on the newspaper readership.
- Involves other Stars and Stripes reporters in regionalizing local stories.
- Works closely and shares pertinent information with reporters covering other areas within the same geographic region.
- Reviews pertinent publications in the assigned coverage area, including base newspapers and Web sites, for story ideas or tips about active duty and/or military community members.
- Maintains current knowledge of military units assigned to coverage area and assigned topical issues.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Non-Citizens
At least one year demonstrated experience in reporting and writing for a newspaper, journal, wire service, magazine, or online journalism. Previous work experience covering a variety of topics from hard news to features. Demonstrated strong English language verbal and written skills. Ability to use computers with standard software package is required. Ability to take and transmit publishable photographs with a digital camera.
Master's or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a degree in Journalism or a related field.
Previous journalism experience covering the military.
Knowledge of computer-assisted reporting requirements.
Conditions of Employment:
1. If selected, a completed and signed copy of our job application form (DA Form 3433) is required prior to entrance on duty. (Click here to view form).
2. A valid US driver's license is required.
3. Satisfactory completion of pre-employment background checks in accordance with AR 215-3 to include a National Agency Check and Inquiries (NACI).
4. Pre-employment physical exam is required.
5. Flexibility to work some weekends and holidays as required.
6. Social Security Card must be presented at the time of appointment.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*