Burness, rated by Washingtonian Magazine and the Washington Post as one of the best places to work in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area, is seeking a communications coordinator to join its global practice, supporting organizations to develop new drugs and vaccines for diseases such as tuberculosis and malaria, improve access to immunization in Africa and Asia, provide women in Africa with more choices to protect themselves from HIV, and strengthen health systems in Africa. We are looking for a creative and detail-oriented person who is passionate about communications and global development.
Burness is a public relations firm serving nonprofit organizations around the world. Since 1986, we have sought to empower people with information that can be used to improve the human condition and advance social change. We do so recognizing that caring for others starts with modeling our own caring environment—one where all employees are valued and respected for their particular talents and contributions, welcomed into the process of company decision-making, and supported in their personal and professional dreams.
- Media monitoring to track coverage and social media pick-up of client work
- Researching relevant topics on global health
- Scheduling meetings across time zones and quick turnaround of accurate notes of meetings
- Writing clear and professional emails and short-form memos
- Finding the right journalists to cover our stories through solid media list research using phone calls, web searches, media databases and social media
- Supporting team members in planning events and field visits around the world
- Helping develop and implement creative social media presences and campaigns
- Writing and compiling reports on impact of press outreach efforts
- Pitching journalists across time zones
- Supporting team members in researching and copyediting external-facing documents
- Coordinating and conducting electronic distributions of press releases, media advisories and other written materials
- Providing administrative support to the team as necessary. This includes preparation of materials and researching travel, tracking team schedule, helping to maintain team’s internal filing system and media databases.
In the last year alone, the global practice helped roll out new pediatric tuberculosis drugs in Kenya; celebrated the success of a program to control meningitis epidemics in Africa; released dozens of research-based stories to media on five continents via social media and traditional media; wrote and placed op-eds by high-level thought leaders; and prepared brochures, infographics, and videos in partnership with our creative and digital teams.
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies:
- BA/BS (communications, international relations or international development preferred)
- One-to-two years’ work experience in journalism, communications or with a global NGO or development agency
- International experience, particularly in Africa
- Communications and/or media skills, with examples of successful media engagement and/or short-form writing available
- Mastery of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PPT, are necessary; experience with Outlook a plus)
- Knowledge of digital communications and social media platforms
- Based in Washington, DC metro area
Personal attributes and competencies:
- Interest in journalism and the news-making process
- Self-motivated, problem-solver who thrives in a team environment
- Excellent analytical skills combined with humility and curiosity
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Fast learner of new content on substantive issues and new skills without much coaching
- Able to juggle multiple assignments simultaneously, manage priorities, and meet tight deadlines
- Able to work irregular hours at times to accommodate different time zones
- Able to travel internationally for work up to a few times a year if needed
- Goes above and beyond the task at hand
Burness offers excellent benefits, competitive salary and a friendly, collegial working environment. Email resumes and a cover letter (one-page max) ASAP to Katy Lenard. No phone calls.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org