The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) leads and supports the organization in cultivating, building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of UNDP. Within BERA, the Communications Group leads and manages external communications through strategy, media, digital communications, marketing, branding and global storytelling. The Digital & Online team within the Communications Group is responsible for implementing a comprehensive digital strategy, including UNDP’s multi-lingual corporate web site in three languages (English, French, Spanish) and Country Office sites and partner sites; and all aspects of digital media channels with cutting-edge multi-media and social media approaches, products, services, and platforms, including increased attention to mobile platforms.
The Digital Communications Strategist is part of the Digital & Online Communications team and will be supervised by the Team Manager. Primarily tasked with optimizing social media worldwide, the Digital Communications Strategist will follow a process of continual improvements: review communication objectives; understand global audience behavior; evaluate effectiveness of the current portfolio of platforms; test new approaches; enhance the user experience and journey; and support the evolution of practice throughout UNDP’s global network of digital communications personnel. The Digital Communications Strategist will also be a key member of cross-sectional teams to plan and implement major communication campaigns and projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the strategic growth of global audiences through social media
- Working closely with the Manager, Digital and Online, to determine digital communication goals for reach and engagement through social media
- Develop, implement and evaluate social media plans for major communication projects and campaigns as set forth by the Communications Group’s senior management team
- Ensure the proper and selective use of social media for audience development
- Drive paid advertising campaigns across social media
Continually optimize UNDP’s social media system
- Repeatedly evaluate effectiveness of UNDP’s global portfolio of social media platforms
- Test new and emerging approaches to digital communications
- Systematically modify the composition and use of social media to ensure better user experience and journey
- Recommend and deploy social media tools for strategic and efficient planning and management
Collaborate and facilitate process to create and distribute digital content and assets to achieve global communication objectives
- With communication objectives in mind, work with web editors and communication focal points at headquarters to determine, negotiate and maintain a 12-month editorial calendar for digital communications
- Along with digital editorial, production and technical teams, develop creative content across all digital platforms to build awareness and engagement and achieve strategic priorities
- Seek opportunities and partnerships to promote UNDP and its priorities through social media
Strengthen global practice of digital communications
- Advise personnel at global, regional and local levels on standards and best practices for UNDP digital communications, including social media strategy and content development.
- Provide trainings (both virtual and in-person) and assets to teach skills, impart knowledge and inform on guidelines for effective digital communications especially through social media
- Build capacity of digital communications at all levels through knowledge sharing
- Continually stay informed on latest social media technologies and practices to ensure effectiveness of UNDP’s digital communication network
Perform other duties as needed to ensure the healthy functioning of UNDP’s digital communications ecosystem
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to prioritize
- Knowledge of popular digital platforms, modalities and techniques in web, social media and mobile communications
- Ability to apply and adapt digital innovations toward communication objectives
- Ability to engage UNDP’s constitutes and encourage action
- Ability to make decisions that align with strategy, vision, and mission
- Ability to manage the spread of information between the UNDP and the public
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Ability to engage with other agencies and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to communicate the value of a product or service
- Minimum 5 years of work experience required in the field of digital communications, media, marketing, or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated track record of results-based strategic planning and management of digital campaigns, preferably in a social cause-related role.
- Outstanding skills in communications, and understanding of media, multimedia and social media required.
- Experience with digital analytics and other social media tools for efficient management of digital communications is required.
- Understanding of international development; international relations; or environmental and/or other relevant issues strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive within a complex multicultural and multinational environment strongly preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org