The Director will play a key leadership role within PSI’s headquarters in Washington DC; providing strategic guidance and management oversight to a highly motivated team of technical advisors and program support staff. The Director will chair the Malaria Management Team which provides a platform to influence policy and practice, not just at HQ level but across PSI’s global network of country programs. Furthermore, the Director will lead PSI’s liaison role with external partners to effectively position PSI as a thought leader and leading implementing partner in the malaria control and elimination sphere. The Director will also be responsible for delivering the goals associated with major awards from The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), including VectorLinks and VectorWorks, awards from the Global Fund to fight AIDS TB and Malaria (GFATM), an upcoming LLIN market facilitation project funded by UNITAID as well as several additional bilateral awards from DFID and other funding partners.
You’ve got the passion, energy and experience in malaria control and elimination to help drive a new global strategy through a customer centric team that balances pragmatism with technical excellence. Your team is focused on the ultimate goal of ensuring that the organization actively learns from its cutting-edge programs in the field and manages its knowledge at all levels using state of the art processes, tools and technology to maximize impact on global health policy and practice.
- As leader of the Malaria Management Team, be responsible for developing and delivering the annual malaria operations plan to support PSI’s 5-year global strategy to improve consumer powered health care;
- Align and coordinate a high functioning malaria team which includes a selection of well-known global malaria experts working in different programs in different parts of the world and ensure the whole offering to the global fight against malaria is greater than the sum of the parts;
- Promote PSI’s malaria thought leadership agenda including coordinating PSI’s presence and evidence-based influence on policy and practice at global level;
- Support local PSI staff to work closely together with country malaria control programs and national level communities of practice towards accelerated malaria control and elimination;
- Promote and support countries to raise funding to launch new interventions and scale up existing programs through assistance with program design and proposal development;
- Provide strategic leadership for the Malaria Department in headquarters, ensuring strong coordination between HQ global services departments;
- Lead the Malaria Department’s capacity building efforts at HQ and in the field, including the design, and delivery of an annual technical advisor workshop to improve platform performance in delivering malaria control and elimination programming;
- Lead PSI’s malaria related coordination efforts with key donors and external partners including: USAID, WHO, RBM, AMP, GFATM, BMGF, UNICEF and others;
- Provide in-country technical assistance to country programs, working with local teams to strategize, develop and fundraise for new programmatic areas in addition to implementation support to improve the quality of existing programs.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with:
- Technical knowledge and credibility: Demonstrated global malaria leader with established international reputation for excellence in malaria control/elimination;
- Experience: Have worked for at least 10 years in the global health sphere with at least 4 years of experience in a developing country;
- Leadership skills: Able to provide vision and direction to affect change in a diverse and decentralized global health organization;
- Management skills: A clear record of successfully managing and developing a team of motivated professionals;
- Fundraising track record: Proven ability to develop winning malaria proposals submitted to the agencies representing the major sources of international development assistance for malaria;
- Networking: A mature and active professional network that can be leveraged to provide opportunities for partnership and access to technical resources to continue to develop PSI’s malaria control portfolio;
- Credentials: Post-graduate degree e.g. MBA, MPH, MD, PhD in a related field;
- Language skills: Fluent English is essential. French is highly desirable;
- Flexibility: Ability to travel up to 30%.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org