- Collaborate with the Secretariat team to create annual communications (including social media) plan and budget; develop strategies for all of Musawah’s programmatic areas, to broaden reach, raise public awareness, mobilise activism and inspire philanthropic support;
- Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support and promote Musawah’s work; with direction and support from the programme team, create and implement media strategies to capitalise on them;
- Contribute to the development of Musawah’s “core” messages; ensure consistency of messaging across all media platforms. Write and edit media relations materials for all distribution channels;
- Oversee organisational response to media inquiries about Musawah;
- Lead the production of Musawah’s constituent engagement content (e.g. mailchimp announcements and Musawah’s quarterly newsletter Vision);
- Work in partnership to strategise and implement event-related marketing and communications plans, and coordinate communications needs for media engagement and special events;
- Develop quarterly impact reports to support Musawah’s reporting and engagement needs.
Social media and website
- Develop Musawah’s social media strategy, messaging and campaigns to grow its online presence;
- Lead in the administration of the Musawah website in support of Musawah’s growth and engagement goals;
- Support online engagement by optimising online properties to enhance user experience and interaction; support SEO and development of new engagement activities; support paid search campaigns to increase inbound traffic and optimise conversions;
- Collect and analyse online data through monthly online engagement dashboards; monitor web traffic using Google Analytics and SEO tools.
Contributions to the Secretariat and movement
- Work closely with other Musawah programme officers and regularly participate in Secretariat and other meetings (virtual and in-person) to ensure programmatic strategic direction and coherence;
- Represent Musawah at various national, regional and international meetings;
- Contribute to the needs of the Secretariat and assist other Secretariat members in preparation for events and activities.
- Develop fundraising proposals for communications activities with support from the Secretariat;
- Prepare narrative reports to meet reporting obligations to funders.
- The small team working with the Musawah Secretariat are not so much ‘staff’ as activists and professionals who are deeply committed to Musawah’s principles and who work together to advance Musawah. They are therefore expected to be mainly self-managing and self-motivated;
- contributing effectively to Musawah, in a working environment that is supportive and collaborative;
- As Musawah addresses equality and justice in the Muslim family, the majority of those leading;
- Musawah and working in the Secretariat are expected to have personal experience of Muslim family laws or practices.
The Communications Programme Officer should be able to meet most of the following:
- B.A required; advanced degree in Media, Communications, or Journalism preferred;
- 5 - 7 years communications experience includes a blend of advocacy, media relations and constituency building;
- Exceptional and creative written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills;
- A strong track record of positioning an organisation to achieve tangible outcomes;
- Experience administering social media and website properties in a professional environment;
- Experience in coordinating activities/efforts with remote staff, preferably in an international environment;
- A team player with strong ability to work collaboratively;
- Knowledge of issues related to women, gender and Islam;
- Passionate belief in the vision, mission and objectives of Musawah;
- Fluency in English and Arabic. Fluency in French is an advantage;
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to diversity related to beliefs, perspectives, cultures, geography, sexuality;
- Ability to travel internationally.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org