The British Bilateral Embassy in Belgium is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a highly motivated, full-time Liaison Officer Assistant for Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Fiscal Crime Liaison Officer (FCLO).
HMRC is the UK’s tax and customs administration. HMRC is responsible for collecting tax revenue on behalf of the UK government, making sure that money is available to fund the UK’s public services and for helping families and individuals with targeted financial support. HMRC is also charged with closing the tax gap and reducing avoidance and evasion.
This role involves providing essential office support functions to enable the FCLO to operate lawfully and effectively. This is an exciting and challenging role, and the successful candidate will be working in a fast-moving team environment where time critical actions are crucial to success. The Liaison Office is fully committed to the professional development and training of its staff.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic team working at the forefront of the fight against organised crime, tax fraud and international money laundering. Reporting to the FCLO, the jobholder will play a pivotal role in facilitating the flow of data between UK-based investigators and key partners within the law-enforcement community in Belgium & Luxembourg. The post is based in Brussels, and may involve travel throughout Belgium & Luxembourg and sometimes abroad.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate excellent organisational skills, and a practical approach to multi-tasking and problem solving, as well as the ability to quickly grasp complex issues. They will develop an understanding of HMRC strategic priorities on fiscal crime and how we are working to promote them within Belgium & Luxembourg.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Liaison Officer in gathering relevant information from a wide range of sources; disseminating this information in an accurate and timely manner via clear and concise reports to UK colleagues or via official letters to Law Enforcement Agencies in Belgium & Luxembourg. Prioritising their workload against case priorities and being mindful of the requirements of legislation in Belgium & Luxembourg;
- Conduct office administration duties and any other administrative tasks as required under the supervision of the Fiscal Crime Liaison Officer. Duties include record management, vehicle management, maintaining office accounts, planning travel and organising one off events. Must be able to follow standard operating procedures and written processes with minimal supervision;
- Provide both spoken and written translation services for the Liaison Officer when communicating with officials from Belgium & Luxembourg government agencies and ministries. Dealing with senior officials from all levels of government in a professional manner and travel in Belgium & Luxembourg and sometimes abroad for official meetings;
- Searching open source material and media reporting, to identify anything relevant to FCLO.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent IT skills – advanced skills in MS products & use/maintenance of databases are desirable;
- Fluent written and spoken English and Dutch/Flemish;
- Ability to process and understand large amounts of data and information; turning this it into concise and accurate reports;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and confidence in dealing with senior level people;
- Constructive, positive and service orientated attitude;
- Experience of working in an area with a high level of personal responsibility and has a track record of being accountable for own actions / decisions;
- Excellent organisational skills for document and record management;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to prioritise workloads where required;
- Ability to respect the confidentiality of work issues and understands the personal and professional consequences of lapses in security;
- Flexible approach to work and travel; this may include occasional travel at short notice, weekends and on public holidays;
- Able to successfully pass security clearance procedures.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org