The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is an independent international institute whose core mission is to undertake research and activities on security, conflict and peace. Established in 1966, SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public. SIPRI provides excellent opportunities for scientific and personal development. SIPRI is an equal opportunity employer.
SIPRI is seeking a Programme Director and Senior Researcher for our China and Global Security Programme. SIPRI’s China and Global Security Programme aims to advance peace and security studies with a particular emphasis on China’s role and impact in global, non-traditional and transnational security.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The Programme Director and Senior Researcher is responsible for directing a range of tasks, including:
- Preparing the overall programme design and strategy, which includes the research direction, budget, fundraising strategy, staffing targets and an outreach plan;
- Coordinating and participating in collecting, processing, analysing and disseminating data and analysis, and conducting research in the programme;
- Leading fundraising for the programme and advising others on fundraising;
- Managing and mentoring staff in line with the programme’s strategy and the Institute’s policy;
- Disseminating research results through maintaining of a good pace of publications and other forms of outreach of high quality, in accordance with SIPRI’s productivity requirements;
- Contributing to a pleasant and stimulating intellectual and work environment in the Institute.
The successful candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- At least 7–8 years of experience as a researcher initiating, fundraising for and carrying out her/his own research projects;
- A record of publications that is commensurate with the length of time worked in research;
- A strong broad knowledge of Asia, combined with detailed knowledge of key security, conflict and peace issues in China and at least one other Asian country.
Knowledge and skills
When starting the Senior Researcher & Programme Director should have, as a minimum, the following knowledge and skills:
- Strong knowledge of peace, conflict, stability and fragility issues in the region;
- Sound academic or professional background in conflict analysis and conflict resolution;
- Proficiency in an Asian language, preferably Mandarin, as well as English.
- A university degree or degrees, in disciplines and topics relevant to this post, at Master or Doctoral level, or publications to Doctoral degree standard.
SIPRI is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
Starting from as soon as possible. The appointment will be for two years initially with possible extension up to 6 years. The post is full-time. The salary package will be negotiated individually.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org