UNI Europa, the European services workers’ union, is recruiting a Senior Policy Adviser to the Regional Secretary.
His/her principle task is to advise and support the Regional Secretary, the head of the organisation, directly in terms of the political dimension of the Regional Secretary’s day-to-day work. In addition, he/she provides the Regional Secretary with support and advice on EU affairs. Specific cross-sectoral tasks may also be allocated to him/her on a permanent or ad hoc basis.
Our organisation represents 270 trade unions with 7 million members throughout Europe in sectors, such as Commerce, Finance, ICT, Post, Property Services, Graphical and Media. We promote and advocate workers and trade union interests towards EU institutions and multinational companies.
The intention is to hold interviews in the first half of July 2018.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Supporting the Regional Secretary in his general work. This concerns foremost:
- structuring and organising the content preparation and follow-up of the Regional Secretary’s day-to-day activities in a proactive, timely and anticipatory fashion;
- the political and policy coordination of the work of the Secretariat generally and in particular regarding UNI Europa’s involvement in the ETUC and its relations with affiliates;
- taking the lead in the organisation of statutory meetings (e.g. executive committee and congress).
- Supporting the Regional Secretary proactively in the development, definition and implementation of policies, strategies and action relating to the EU’s legislative and policymaking activities. This concerns foremost:
- advocating UNI Europa’s positions as well as developing and maintaining networks with EU policymakers;
- enhancing co-operation and coordinating joint positions and action at national and European level with the different parts of UNI Europa, affiliates, ETUC and other stakeholder, such as NGOs;
- monitoring and identifying relevant EU developments as well as drafting related documents, briefs and newsletters.
The Senior Policy Adviser works under the direct supervision of the Regional Secretary.
- At least 5 years of experience in policy work in an organisation/institution comparable to UNI Europa with an emphasis on EU affairs and/or trade unions;
- A particular advantage for candidates is experience in trade union work at national and/or international level;
- Strong leadership skills; good inter-personal, team and partnership skills, in particular the ability to liaise and coordinate work of other staff and affiliates;
- Ability to work strategically, take initiatives and react flexibly to new challenges on specific dossiers – often under pressure;
- Ability to analyse information and assemble it in a concise manner with decision options (both in written and oral form);
- Ability to promote the visibility of UNI Europa, in particular by communicating on activities effectively to affiliates and other relevant parties;
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks;
- Excellent written and spoken English (of at least C1); knowledge at a similar level of at least one other working language of UNI Europa (French, German, Italian, Swedish).
UNI Europa offers attractive conditions with a competitive salary and an attractive package of fringe benefits in line with seniority and work experience. This includes complementary hospital insurance and complementary pension scheme.
The successful candidate will be based in Brussels/Belgium.
Candidates should send their application form (attached) with the subject heading "Vacancy – Senior Policy Adviser to the Regional Secretary”.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org