This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned fundraiser who wants to work on the single greatest challenge and opportunity of our lifetime – addressing global climate change.
The Head of US Development will join the New York City office of The Climate Group, a global not-for-profit organization on the cutting edge of carbon-cutting interventions and innovations. This person will be responsible for maximizing income from foundations, major donors, and philanthropic partnerships with corporations, to help accelerate climate action.
Primary activities include:
- Form, maintain and deepen strategic senior-level relationships with new and existing stakeholders to help drive fundraising efforts.
- Develop, cultivate and close new and existing funding streams to increase support for The Climate Group.
- Secure gifts and grants focusing at the $100,000 level and higher.
About The Climate Group
Accelerating climate action.
A world of less than 2°C of global warming and greater prosperity for all, without delay.
How we do it
- We bring together powerful networks, of businesses and governments, which shift global markets and policies, towards this goal.
- We act as a catalyst to take innovation and solutions to scale. And we use the power of communication to build ambition and pace.
- We focus on the greatest global opportunities for change.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, US board, and global Head of Philanthropy to develop and successfully deliver a comprehensive development strategy which will fulfill the budget of the US office of The Climate Group (a registered 501c(3)), as part of a wider global fundraising strategy.
Cultivation and management of prospects and donors
- Collaborate with program leads, partners, and funders to ensure that projects are developed with close appreciation of funding ecosystems, deliver market-leading value to funders, and activate all opportunities to further our mission.
- Maintain and improve communications with donors and prospects to inspire new and renewed funding.
- Schedule and deliver timely reporting obligations to funders.
- Represent The Climate Group at funder meetings with foundation program staff and major donors.
- Effectively pitch targeted face-to-face asks which help elicit major gifts.
- Write compelling concept notes, LOIs, proposals, as well as all related outreach, reports, and follow-up to secure institutional support.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience in preparing project budgets and financial reports.
Board Development and Engagement
- Educate and empower board members to leverage their networks and make peer-to-peer asks to secure financial and in-kind support for The Climate Group.
- Keep board members engaged and informed of The Climate Group’s goals, achievements, and impact.
- Help develop pipeline of prospective board members, and create opportunities to engage them in the work of The Climate Group.
Event Optimization and Organization
- Work with colleagues in Fundraising, Communications and Program teams to design and deliver events to cultivate and steward donors and prospects.
- Organize and oversee event processes, including invitations, logistics, materials, content, delivery, and follow-up.
- Represent The Climate Group at events to enhance The Climate Group’s profile and reputation.
Additional Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee and manage the US Development Coordinator.
- Engage the wider organization in the work of the Fundraising team and development of specific relationships and proposals.
- Act as an expert and ambassador for the team across The Climate Group.
- Champion the use of data, research tools & administrative systems which fully supports the delivery of fundraising activity and informs targeted solicitation approaches.
- Work with senior managers to improve and develop the ways we work and operate as an organization, helping to drive forward our organizational development and demonstrating strong commitment to our values.
- Develop and maintain accurate, up-to-date and organized records for all partners and prospects using The Climate Group’s database (Salesforce) and file system.
- Ensure all partner information is managed and stored in-line with legal requirements on data protection.
- Support and deliver other projects and tasks, in line with your skills and experience and contribute to our overall organizational objectives above and beyond your role.
- 7-10 years experience in a non-profit fundraising setting, with demonstrated ability to secure institutional support and close major gifts.
- Strong commitment to sustainability and understanding of the challenges and opportunities presented by addressing global climate change.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, cultivate, sustain, and leverage high-level relationships.
- Ability to produce quality work in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities and multiple deadlines.
- Team player able to work well across regional global teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Availability for occasional domestic and international travel.
This role is a full-time position. We offer a competitive salary, depending on experience. In addition, the role holder will benefit from:
- 5 weeks paid vacation, plus federal holidays
- Generous benefits package including health, dental, and 403b
Please send resume and cover letter to Kirsten Strom, Operations Manager.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org