Reporting to the Syria Deputy Country Director (DCD), the hub team lead (HTL) oversees the implementation, coordination and administration of all aspects related to ongoing program activities in Syria from the relevant hub including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and ensuring quality implementation of program activities. The HTL will be overall in-charge and leader at the hub level and is responsible for day to day management functions and overall management of all Syria related staff and cross border programs. At every hub level, a separate/distinct country mission will/may also exist which will be managed by an individual SMT lead by respective country director for that mission. The HTL is expected to understand and be able to manage in remote management setup in addition of being able to comply and coordinate with the Country Directors of the respective country missions. These requires a clear understanding for the sensitivity of carrying out cross border programming from a host country and being under the legal umbrella of the affiliated hub.
The Country Director (CD) for Syria is responsible for overall management and development of Relief International’s (RI) country programs in Syria. The CD will ensure that hub based programme implementation and support teams are fully guided and supported in strategic, technical and operational aspects and that programming meets stated objectives, is in line with RI’s philosophy and strategy and meets the needs of beneficiaries. The CD is also responsible for spotting and pursuing new program opportunities and identifying gaps in services. CD will directly manage a senior management team of six senior managers.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- In depth analysis of humanitarian context, trends, gaps, challenges and opportunities;
- Lead country strategic planning and contribute to the sustainable management of program growth, with a focus on new program development that addresses the needs of the beneficiaries to support the strategic direction of the country strategy;
- Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with cross border activities (from different hubs) and ensure appropriate coordination with country offices and respective CDs to control the risks;
- Oversee Whole of Syria (WoS) SMT structure and relevant hub-based cross border teams;
- Maintain a steady progress of WoS working groups and hold relevant SMT members accountable for achieving the agreed outcomes.
- Spearhead program development efforts by identifying opportunities and diversifying donor-base for Syria country programme and working with RI’s regional and headquarters-based Program Development department to draft proposals to respond to those opportunities;
- Ensure start-up and close-out of all projects based on RI and donor regulations;
- Providing overall guidance and direction focusing the country team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives;
- Oversee that key program activities are achieved per program budget, timeline and donor requirements;
- Report on a minimum of a weekly basis on progress of program implementation and development to relevant Regional and Headquarters staff;
- Ensure quality control of overall program implementation by putting in place stringent internal controls and review processes;
- Oversee all staff working for the programme, including short or long-term consultants with direct line management responsibility for five expatriate roles and two national roles.
- Provide capacity building to international and national staff in a variety of areas (management, leadership, etc.);
- Develop overall staff competency through leadership, mentoring and coaching support departments;
- Conduct regular staff performance appraisals and annual performance reviews;
- Establish and maintain uniform systems for country operations in all relevant hubs in accordance with RI policies and procedures.
Budget and Financial Management
- Ensure program implementation and budget use is in compliance with grant requirements per donor (OFDA, ECHO, BPRM etc) with the support of the Finance Manager;
- Ensure program expenditure is on track and grants are not over/under spent .
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Oversee the preparation and submission of technical and program reports as per the grant agreement; Report progress of program implementation to the donor periodically through required weekly, monthly or quarterly reports.
Coordination and Partnership
- As required, represent RI program to funders and potential donors;
- Maintain effective communication with donors and other stakeholders;
- Work closely with country CDs to maintain and build relations;
- Ensure RI participation in NGO sector coordination groups (or delegate to appropriate technical leads) and identify areas for coordination and collaboration; Networking and bilateral meeting are key to success in this context;
- Maintain effective communication with RSO and HQ regarding program implementation as required;
- Frequent travel to field sites.
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment;
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience;
- Minimum of ten years professional experience in lead management implementing emergency response programs in a conflict setting;
- Ability and willingness to travel to all hub sites and inside Syria (where security allows);
- Ability to travel regionally and internationally as needed;
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID Rules and Regulations and knowledge of other key donors such as OCHA, Unicef, UNFPA, BPRM, ECHO etc.;
- Solid background and contacts with U.N. Agencies and other international emergency response and development actors;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- English speaking skills are required, Arabic is a plus;
- Strong English writing skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org