WomenStrong International is a global consortium of non-profit organizations working with women and girls to end extreme urban poverty. In collaboration with our consortium members, we develop, finance, and share powerful women-driven solutions that transform lives. WomenStrong believes the path out of poverty and toward a more just and prosperous world can be found by making women strong.For more information, visit www.womenstrong.org.
WomenStrong International is a small non-profit organization seeking a savvy communications professional who has experience developing, managing and executing an organization’s strategic communications. The individual selected will serve as the Director of Communications and should have well-rounded knowledge of and experience with strategic, digital, media and other innovative communications platforms. Also, he/she should have the skills and abilities necessary to cultivate awareness of, engagement in, and support of WomenStrong’s work, while fostering a strong, cohesive voice and image for the organization as a whole.
WomenStrong wants to fill this position at an exciting time where the organization is working to position itself as a global leader for the dissemination of innovations, best practices, and effective tools and strategies capable of empowering impoverished women and girls. The Director of Communications will have a vital role and responsibility to advance this mission.
The Director of Communications is a fulltime position. The selectee must be able to roll up his/her sleeves to execute the necessary communications functions successfully and be willing to take on a wide variety of tasks ranging from providing strategic guidance to executing social media posts. The Director of Communications will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Director of Development and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning staff. This position will be based either in Washington DC or New York City.
· Set overall communications strategy, including goals, priorities, calendars, and measurements for success.
· Craft strategy for public engagement, messaging, and storytelling related to WomenStrong’s issues, its partners, and its audiences.
· Employ and manage a full range of technologies, tools, event calendars, and other channels to increase WomenStrong’s profile as a thought leader in international women’s empowerment.
· Liaise with external partners, and establish networks to ensure support and exposure for WomenStrong as it increases knowledge around approaches to women’s empowerment in urban settings.
· Identify digital and traditional media platforms, conferences, panels, and other fora for WomenStrong’s partners to communicate their own successes and innovations.
· Measure communications efforts, to evaluate return on investment and plan ongoing improvement.
2. Media and Digital Platforms
· Create strategic materials to meet diverse messaging needs, from advocacy position statements to press releases, articles, and blogs.
· Manage media relations: cultivate relationships with journalists and influencers, pitch coverage of WomenStrong’s work and impact, field requests, arrange and prep staff interviews, and serve as spokesperson as needed.
· Edit all mass communications created by staff for clarity, consistency, voice, and message.
· Oversee the use and acquisition of photography and video, including the creation of new photography and video content.
· Hold responsibility for the WomenStrong website, including managing design, copy, content and enhancements, so that the website is anengaging, effective user experience that helps drive WomenStrong’s partner, community, and support base.
· Develop and implement WomenStrong’s social media strategy (including paid media) to increase awareness, support fundraising, and deliver advocacy campaigns.
· Maintain an active community through social media, and lead expansion onto additional social media platforms.
· Oversee WomenStrong’s internal communications, including writing blogs and the monthly newsletter.
· Manage WomenStrong’s brand identity across programs and platforms.
3. Organizational Implementation
· Work with other WomenStrong staff (Executive Director, Director of Development, and M&E/Learning staff) to use strategic communications to meet their goals.
· In conjunction with the Operations Manager, create and manage communications-related budgets.
· Increase the visibility of the Executive Director, key staff, and WomenStrong Consortium colleagues, through interviews, high-impact media and writing opportunities, and events, and ensure that they are prepared to participate, with consistent messaging, etc.
· Report to the Board of Directors on communications efforts; engage Board members by helping them understand our work and communicate clearly about our mission, focus areas, and specific activities.
· Develop and manage relationships with vendors, including agencies, copy editors, graphic designers, video editors, translation services, event planners, etc.
· Help design, plan, implement, and support WomenStrong staff in the execution of WomenStrong events.
· Contribute to organizational strategic and operational planning.
· Master’s degree in communications, journalism, gender studies, and/or international development.
· Exceptional writing and editing skills.
· Eight or more years of experience managing and performing strategic communications, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
· Interest in promoting the wellbeing of women and girls globally in such areas as reproductive health, education, economic empowerment, safety, and human rights.
· Experience in the uses of technical software & social media platforms.
· Demonstrated success in growing digital engagement and managing campaigns, including the use of analytics to measure results.
· Proven ability to perform well in an entrepreneurial environment and on small teams.
· Experience in pitching to media.
· Comfort in handling digital communications tools (e.g., Microsoft Office Suites, Adobe Creative Cloud, InDesign, Illustrator, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Salesforce, Content Management Systems, Ruby on Rails, MailChimp, etc.)
· Experience managing web-based projects and systems (e.g., webinars, interactive online conversations, downloads of content, etc.)
· Graphic design, photo- and video-editing expertise.
· Experience in event planning.
· Familiarity with knowledge management or knowledge-sharing practices, platforms, and technology.
Submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter (that speaks to your interest in WomenStrong International, your fit for this position, and salary requirements). Only candidates with the required years of experience will be considered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org