ABOUT THE FAIR LABOR ASSOCIATION
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) is a multi-stakeholder initiative that combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations, and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions globally through adherence to international standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has several offices world. For more information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and leading the execution of an overall communications strategy and for strengthening the organizational branding of the Fair Labor Association.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and implement a comprehensive strategic communications strategy, including a media strategy and engagement through the full spectrum of traditional and digital communications channels to raise visibility of FLA and its programs.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications department including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Liaise with the Board Communications Committee members and develop a branding strategy (including the redesign and ongoing management of the FLA’s website) based on the organization’s strategic plan.
- Promote the FLA’s work and the key spokespeople of the organization to a variety of audiences, including media, business, socially responsible investors, civil society organizations, consumers, and governments through news articles, speaker engagements, and other relevant communications tactics.
- Oversee the production of FLA publications and reports, in collaboration with program staff, as well as newsletters, speeches, presentations decks, and internal and external communications materials as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in developing, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance the mission and goals of a non-profit, mission-driven organization.
- 10 to 15 years of experience leading a communications team, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing a branding strategy
- Extensive experience writing, editing, and placing pieces in a variety of print and social media channels.
- Master’s degree in communications, marketing/business or related field is preferred.
Apply online at Careers at FLA
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Fair Labor Association
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 401
Washington, DC 20036