Provides technical and scientific leadership to those designing, and implementing technical strategies, programs or tools in specific technical areas. Provides technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global program staff. Assesses current technical, scientific, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program, regional, or global levels as appropriate.
Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound. May evaluate proposal design and protocol development to ensure design is sound and based upon evidence-based practice. Provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise. Responsible for sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks. Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel.
- Support the development of a NTD mainstreaming strategy and implementation plan in collaboration with MOHs, USAID and implementing partners;
- Provides leadership with the CEP-NTD program for the successful execution of the plan and coordinate specific country actions to be implemented in collaboration with the project in-country partners, MOHs and technical assistance providers;
- Support MOHs to “mainstream” NTD programs into the broader national health;
- System such that NTD programs are adequately funded and included in their annual budgets, NTD control and morbidity management responsibilities are clearly designated within the existing workforce and job descriptions, NTD indicators are included and monitored among national health indicators, and national policies are in place to empower the workforce to fulfill essential NTD activities;
- Support the program to leverage cross-sector technical leadership and non-traditional public health platforms;
- Support MOHs NTDs Programs to develop sound annual work plans that are in line with the program priorities and WHO guidelines for the selected diseases;
- Assist MOHs in the execution of periodical Programs Quality Improvements (PQI) to increase project effectiveness and efficiency;
- Participate in resource development activities;
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division;
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines;
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures;
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners;
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs;
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components;
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound;
- May serve as a departmental resource on procedural, administrative and operational issues;
- Provides broad global technical leadership to multiple components for moderate to complex programs;
- Defines and develops solutions for major business or functional challenges;
- Contributes to planning and making recommendations for department/program/project concept, operations, and/or implementation;
- Influences design and scope of initiatives and programs;
- Reviews, analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of programs/projects and makes recommendations for enhancements;
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components;
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels;
- Represents the organization and/or Institute to external entities at professional meetings and conferences;
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in their technical area;
- Continually maintains a dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners;
- Coordinates with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field for situations that is less routine and more unusual.
- Fluent in English and French;
- Assists senior management in determining organization objectives, and interprets organization policies;
- Establishes organization policies in a major segment of the technical area;
- Interprets, executes, and recommends modifications to organization-wide policies;
- Demonstrates realistic budgeting and fiscal accountability;
- Represents the organizational unit as internal and external contact;
- Conducts briefings and technical meetings for top management and customer representatives;
- Interacts with equivalent level managers concerning matters of significance to the company;
- In-depth understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and organization in particular, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences;
- In-depth and deep understanding of the structure, operations, human resources and finances of the organization and the complexities of their interdependencies.
- Minimum of a master’s degree in public health, international development, public policy, or related field;
- A minimum of ten years’ global and in-country experience in implementation of health systems strengthening programs and/or policy reform preferably addressing cross-sector issues and health financing;
- Demonstrated experience in implementing robust HSS programs in a developing country context, with technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: policy reform, service coverage, workforce alignment and/or related areas of health system strengthening;
- Demonstrated capacity to operate within the HSS community and function as a leader on diverse matters related to HSS in developing countries;
- Demonstrated experience implementing HSS programs that incorporate non-health sector and/or multi-health sector programs;
- Demonstrated management, leadership, decision making, and interpersonal skills;
- Full professional proficiency in English and French with excellent oral and written communications skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with senior Government personnel, international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U.S. Government Agencies;
- Familiar with donor/client funded programs and corresponding regulations and communication styles;
- Written and published materials related to technical area e.g., journal articles, job aids, training curricula, and other tools.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Often advises and creates plans based on analysis of issues and trends, and how these link to the responsibilities, capabilities, and potential of the technical area;
- Scans an ever-changing, complex environment in anticipation of emerging crises and opportunities;
- Erroneous decisions will affect the financial, employee or public relations posture of the organization;
- Faulty decisions or recommendation will result in failure to achieve major goals and objectives of the organization;
- Problems encountered often involve multiple departments, projects, or programs;
- Problems are often complex, broad in scope and implications, and often unprecedented with no clear resolution;
- Resolution requires in-depth analysis, cross-functional assessment and understanding of organization’s strategic direction, and must consider the complex interdependencies related to the problem.
- Directs and controls the activities of one or more technical functional areas within multiple countries;
- Completed work is reviewed, from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results;
- Contributes to development of organization’s strategic plan;
- Develops well-informed advice and strategies that are sensitive to the various needs of multiple stakeholders and partners, reflect the strategic direction of the department and position the company for success;
- Overall responsibility for the planning and implementation of budgets within those functional areas.
- Master’s or PhD Degree or its International Equivalent in public health, international development, public policy, or related field.
** Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org