The Strategy Unit
helps Open Society staff create, implement, and assess "living strategies" that can be used to signal plans, share new ideas, align actions, delegate authority, budget resources, and hold themselves accountable. We add value by bridging various perspectives throughout the strategy and budget cycle, soliciting staff input and serving as their advocates while advancing the goals of OSF's leadership. In all our efforts, we try to embody values that OSF strives for in its internal culture: transparency, collaboration, responsibility, inclusion, and informed risk-taking. These characteristics are enabling conditions for living strategy at OSF.Research Services,
housed within the Strategy Unit, is an evolving knowledge management resource connecting staff to pertinent internal and externally generated information to strengthen the empirical basis of OSF's strategic planning and assessment practices. By tracking, curating, facilitating access to, and preserving authoritative resources, Research Services assists staff in staying current in their fields and making informed decisions, which in turn better positions them to improve upon the development, implementation, and assessment of their programmatic strategies.Job Profile
The Data & Research Support Specialist is a full-time role at Open Society Foundations, working with the Head of Research Services to provide innovative and responsive information services across the global OSF network. The Data & Research Support Specialist is a service-oriented role that promotes a rigorous and thoughtful approach to strategy across the network through proactive and thorough digital asset stewardship, text and data analysis, and research assistance across OSF projects, departments, staff, and Fellows. The successful candidate will demonstrate a capacity for and commitment to dynamic knowledge management and professional engagement.
The Data & Research Support Specialist role will include any or all of the following and/or similar activities:
- In collaboration with the Head of Research Services, identify, analyze, curate, and facilitate access to third-party research resources and OSF-produced data and knowledge products.
- Analyze strategy documentation in collaboration with Strategy Unit colleagues and other internal data sources to generate insights on emerging cross-cutting trends in OSF's programmatic work.
- Ensure data integrity for digital assets and electronic resources.
- Perform data gathering and reports on pricing, usage, resource inquiries, and other metrics to support collection development and assessment, budget processes, decision making, impact measurement, and annual reporting requirements for Research Services.
- Collaborate with Information Specialists and other data-focused OSF colleagues to promote efficiencies and cross-network information sharing.
- Share knowledge of existing data products and the current trends in data analysis and visualization tools.
- Support trainings and information sessions on research, data, and information practices.
- Evaluate and help implement tools and solutions to improve the curation, discovery, usage, and preservation of information resources.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 years of data management and analysis experience, ideally in an academic environment or research institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodologies, tools for data/text mining and analysis, and major information providers and resources
- Ability to work effectively with quantitative and qualitative data, distill findings, and deliver compelling and informative reports
- Knowledge of metadata and archiving standards and best practices, with careful attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency with contemporary software systems and applications, including Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and Google Analytics; experience with institutional repositories or digital asset/information management systems preferred
- Excellent writing, verbal, analytical, interpersonal, and presentation skills, with creative communications experience in reaching new audiences a plus
- Familiarity with copyright, preservation, and ethical issues related to research publications and research data practices
- Strong multi-tasker, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects and track workflow efficiently
- Ability to work well in a dynamic team-based environment and independently, as required
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for innovation
- Excellence in service delivery and relationship management
- Subject experience in global human rights and justice, social sciences, and/or international affairs preferred but not required
- Experience working in complex, hierarchical, and multi-stakeholder organizations preferred
- International or cross-cultural experience preferred
Please include a cover letter and resume, and upload as one document when submitting an application.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.