The Reporter Producer, Segment Unit will serve as an integral member of the PBS NewsHour’s Segment Production Unit overseeing the daily production of video segments for use on-air and on-line.
- Write and edit broadcast copy, objectively and on deadline, for use in the PBS NewsHour’s daily video news summaries and select and edit incoming video images and interview clips to accompany those summaries.
- Research and produce day-of-air and forward-planned field segments on a variety of subjects in close coordination with the PBS NewsHour’s team of on-air correspondents.
- Develop pitches for field segments that include a detailed explanation of the story to be filmed, the elements to be gathered, and the interviewees to feature in any completed tape.
- Plan budgets for field segments, and implement coverage plans on deadline and on budget.
- Plan, in consultation with the Managing Editor, online coverage of stories including audio podcasts, visual slideshows, extended interviews, or interactive forums.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage fresh, compelling news and feature content for the web.
- Superior writing skills, under deadline pressure, for both short turn-around news items and longer term feature content.
- Experience with multi-media and broadcast video production is a plus.
- Candidates should be comfortable working in an online production environment using standard and cutting edge publishing tools and social media platforms.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced newsroom setting and adjust smoothly to changing assignments.
- Ability to work closely with colleagues in a collaborative manner under deadline.
- Excellent organizational, project planning, presentation and time management skills with careful attention to detail needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in journalism, preferably for a national outlet.
- Reporting or blogging experience required.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org