Misean Cara is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the key position of Safeguarding Advisor. Reporting to the Deputy CEO, the Safeguarding Advisor will lead, develop and maintain Misean Cara’s strategic, policy and operational priorities in order to achieve the highest standards of safeguarding practice, quality assurance and performance.
This is an important position in Misean Cara to ensure that the safety and wellbeing of children is promoted and supported in a focused, structured and ongoing manner.
The post holder will ensure that the organisation has in place clear and effective policies, procedures, systems, resources, training, advice and support to maintain and uphold the highest standards of child safeguarding.
The post holder will be responsible for safeguarding audit and compliance on behalf of Misean Cara and regularly report to the Deputy CEO.
The post holder will have overall responsibility to develop and support best practice child safeguarding throughout the organisation and to work alongside the members in the projects funded by Misean Cara to promote child safeguarding standards in member projects.
Key Responsibilities of the Safeguarding Advisor:
- The Safeguarding Advisor has the lead responsibility for managing child safeguarding issues in Misean Cara;
- To promote child safeguarding and protection standards amongst Members;
- To promote and ensure that safeguarding is afforded high priority and is integrated into all functions within Misean Cara.
Policies, Systems and Procedures
- To review and update the Misean Cara Safeguarding Policy regularly to ensure that it is in line with all legislation pertaining to best practice in Ireland and internationally;
- To develop robust systems, policies, procedures, resources and structures in Misean Cara that ensure the highest standards of safeguarding are in place;
- To ensure that there are robust and transparent systems for monitoring, review and auditing of all aspects of safeguarding and that all funded projects adhere to and implement these policies;
- Induct all new staff on safeguarding and undertake a briefing on safeguarding practices and procedures for any staff travelling overseas to projects;
- Contribute to a Code of Behaviour for staff and young people at work;
- To further develop and promote a culture of continuous-improvement on safeguarding.
Audit and Compliance
- To manage audit and compliance within Misean Cara as it pertains to child safeguarding;
- To introduce, as required, new compliance procedures.
- To carry out monitoring visits (in Ireland and overseas) in conjunction with the Monitoring and Evaluation function to support, review, assess and audit the development of safeguarding policies, structures and systems;
- To work with the Monitoring and Evaluation team to develop review and evaluation tools that identify risk and learning, and support practice development.
Training and Garda Vetting
- To advise and facilitate safeguarding training to Misean Cara Staff, Board and Misean Cara members;
- To ensure that an up to date register is maintained by Misean Cara that details all Training and Garda Vetting carried out by the organisation and is retained by HR.
- Through the development of positive working relationships, to support, advise and work with Misean Cara members to develop their own safeguarding policies and standards.
- To ensure that the CEO and Board of Directors are appraised and updated on a regular basis on the implementation and auditing of the safeguarding policies, procedures and systems;
- To collect, analyse and produce regular reports with regard to the implementation of Misean Cara safeguarding policies, review and audit;
- To monitor and review the Misean Cara Risk Register as it pertains to child safeguarding;
- To manage the Safeguarding Committee in Misean Cara;
- To contribute to key organisational reports;
- Liaison with relevant statutory agencies;
- To liaise, network and develop positive working relationships with relevant agencies.
Values and Culture
- To work in a professional manner at all times to reflect the values and culture of Misean Cara and ensure the rights and best interests of children are paramount;
- To work flexibly and undertake any other tasks and responsibilities as delegated by the Deputy CEO;
- There may be occasions when it is necessary to report directly to the CEO, such instances will be agreed in advance.
The essential skills and attributes required of the Safeguarding Advisor are:
- Third level degree in a relevant discipline, i.e. Social Work (Social Policy, Human Rights, Children’s Rights);
- 3–5 years’ professional work experience at national or international levels in child safeguarding and protection, and audit and compliance;
- Technical knowledge in relation to safeguarding legislation and related legislation;
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues and trends in safeguarding and child protection;
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information;
- A self-starter with a proven focus on results;
- Strong analytical, communication and report writing skills;
- Strategic thinker, planner and collaborative worker;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work cross culturally;
- Resilient, positive and solution focused;
- Highly organised and able to work to deadlines;
- Ability to balance a range of priorities and maintain focus;
- Excellent computer skills, including the advanced features of MS Office Suite;
- A willingness to travel internationally, including to developing countries.
Additional skills and attributes that would be desirable are:
- A good understanding of international development;
- An affinity with development work undertaken by Irish missionaries;
- Experience of working in the development sector, particularly in the developing world;
- Interest in social policy, human rights and social justice;
- Salesforce or equivalent database or project management system.
- A passion for the well-being of children, human rights and social justice;
- A willingness to challenge opinion, where necessary, and to drive the child protection agenda;
- Strong listening skills and the ability to deal with sensitive situations with integrity;
- The confidence and good judgment to manage situations affirmatively and resolutely.
- The Safeguarding Advisor will report to the Deputy CEO.
Terms and benefits:
- Salary €50,000 to €57,000 DOE
- Three year fixed term contract
- 9 months’ probation
- Pension entitlement after probation
- Life assurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 24 days annual leave + 1 day mental health entitlement
- All positions in Misean Cara are subject to Garda vetting, full reference checks and medical.
Please send, in one document, a cover letter (max one page) outlining how your motivation, experience and skills fit the role and a CV. Please insert “Safeguarding Advisor” in the subject line. Misean Cara is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org