Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) is an independent and unique non-profit network and think tank of lawyers who provide creative legal assistance in fragile and conflict-affected areas. LAW provides legal assistance to the most vulnerable, placing national lawyers at the forefront of legal change. LAW uses legal advocacy, research, advice and strategic litigation to bring about this change. LAW work spans the Middle East, Africa and South Asia and it has offices in the UK and Switzerland. LAW’s main focus is addressing sexual and gender based violence and LAW has global and national partners with which it works to achieve change and empowerment.
LAW’s work on sexual and gender based violence has been recognised by Harvard University who awarded LAW with two legal fellows under the Hennigson and Satter Fellowships. In 2017 LAW won the Justice Award from leading law firm Allen and Overy. LAW’s work has been covered international and national media coverage, including the New York Times, the UK Times, the Guardian, Voice of America, Huffington Post, Foreign Policy and a number of UN and UK government reports.
In 2018, a consortium led by Euromed Feminist Initiative will implement a multi-county project “Strengthening access to protection, participation and services for women refugees, IDPs and host communities”, funded by the EU Regional Trust Fund in Response to the Syrian Crisis – MADAD. The overall objective is to improve the livelihood, agency and legal and social protection for Syrian women refugees, IDPs and host communities in the region, with focus on Lebanon, Iraq (Kurdistan Region) and Jordan.
In Lebanon the project is implemented by a consortium composed of Euromed Feminist Initiative, Care International in Lebanon, Lebanese Democratic Women Gathering and Legal Action Worldwide. The objectives are to enhance in Lebanon security and resilience for Syrian women refugees and women from host communities through supporting and coordinating comprehensive and structured services and referral mechanisms, as well as to support national institutions in their work towards more gender sensitive policy frameworks and legislation.
LAW’s focus will be on the provision of legal aid, advice, information and representation for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence. Legal aid services will be provided by lawyers and Legal Information Officers (LIOs) operating out of 12 Social Development Centers (SDCs) across Lebanon.
LAW is currently looking for a passionate, committed, human rights-oriented senior lawyer or jurist to head LAW’s work in Lebanon. The Head of Lebanon prgramme will be part of LAW’s Senior Management Team and responsible for driving LAW’s work, strategy and thematic focuses regionally and globally.
We are looking for a human rights lawyer or jurist with extensive senior project management experience, preferably within an international NGO. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
· Providing overall management and strategic leadership over LAW’s Lebanon programme;
· Being part of LAW’s Senior Management Team responsible for making decisions about LAW’s strategy, focus areas, future development and geographic expansion;
- Overseeing a project providing legal aid and assistance to Syrian refugees and Lebanese host communities across Lebanon, with a focus on gender based violence cases, as part of a consortium and in partnership with the Lebanese Ministry of Social Affairs;
- Working with national lawyers to identify gaps and weaknesses in current Lebanese legislation relating to refugees, women and other populations in need of protection and empowerment, and facilitating workshops and discussions on how to reform these laws;
- Organising workshops and community discussions between project lawyers, partner civil society organisations, police and other stakeholders in increasing access to justice in Lebanon.
· Assist the Executive Director in expanding LAW’s presence in the region and coordinating with LAW’s offices in Nairobi, London, Geneva and Colombo to streamline research and legal advocacy efforts and to identify strategic cases and other creative legal interventions;
· Undertaking technical legal work including research, report writing, drafting of policies and legislative amendments, developing guidelines and standard operating procedures for project lawyers;
· Attendance of conferences and events as a representative of LAW, with a view to raising the profile of the organisation and its work;
· Participation in high-level meetings, including bi-lateral meetings with senior figures from government, international organisations and civil society;
· Acting as a media-facing spokesperson for LAW in Lebanon for television, radio, or other news media where required;
· Working with project teams, LAW’s advocacy team in Geneva, and project partners on the development and implementation of relevant, effective advocacy strategies designed to enhance the impact of LAW’s projects and the Lebanon Programme more generally.
· Writing applications for funding to international donors, UN agencies, foundations and other funding sources, including by developing theories of change, project narratives, logical frameworks, budgets and workplans;
· Networking and liaising with possible funders;
· Keeping abreast of funding opportunities and feeding into LAW’s fundraising matrix.
· Managing all project staff, ensuring reporting deadlines are met, writing narrative reports and checking them against financial reports and meeting with donors and partners;
· Manage budgets of projects under the LAW Lebanon programme in cooperation with the regional and global Finance Managers;
· Submitting business expense reports after travel and ensuring all records of expenditure are up to date;
Please email a CV and statement of interest in English on or before 28 September 2018. The subject of the application should read ‘Head of Lebanon application.
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
· LAW is an equal opportunity employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org