We are a network of 14 faith-based development NGOs from across Europe whose purpose is to influence EU policy makers and decision-making processes in the pursuit of justice, peace and the eradication of global poverty.
Amongst their many humanitarian and development operations, six ACT Alliance EU agencies together support one of the largest and longest-running funding portfolios to Israeli and Palestinian NGOs working on development, human rights & inter-faith dialogue. The humanitarian needs to which this responds are the consequence of recurrent violations of international law and a lack of progress towards peace. Over the last two decades the six ACT Alliance EU agencies have cooperated under a Working Group structure (the Middle East Working Group - MEWG). This structure is led by a Policy Officer who is based within the ACT Alliance EU secretariat in Brussels.
Purpose of the position
ACT Alliance EU is seeking a committed individual to act as MEWG Policy Offer and to lead the advocacy work with a view to generating and securing political support for EU initiatives aimed at:
- Ensuring compliance with international law by all parties to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
- Protecting humanitarian access for INGOs as well as local NGOs
- Supporting and protecting Palestinian and Israeli human rights defenders
Tasks and responsibilities
The Policy Officer is expected to:
- Keep track of developments impacting the EU’s foreign policy in relation to ACT Alliance EU’s humanitarian and human rights mandate and maintain close contact with relevant local stakeholders in this regard.
- Build strong working relationships with key officials, politicians and journalists based in Brussels.
- Generate interest in and support for ACT ALLIANCE EU objectives amongst EU officials and legislators independently and together with our members and local partners.
- Identify opportunities for cross-European action in close coordination with ACT ALLIANCE EU member agencies
- Formulate and distribute policy updates amongst legislators and Member States and Commission officials.
- Build mutually-beneficial alliances with UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs and think-tanks.
Key working relationships
The Policy Officer is line managed by the ACT Alliance EU Director in Brussels.
The Policy Officer is supported by the MEWG on the formulation and daily implementation of the advocacy strategy & annual working-plans.
The ideal candidate is a quick and strategic thinker, independent and a self-starter with:
- A Master’s degree, or comparative, in a relevant discipline (e.g. Political Sciences, Journalism, Law or Economics)
- A proven passion for, and good knowledge of the EU, its processes, policies, politics and working culture.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a challenging and fast-paced political and policy-making environment
- A proven record in influencing policy change.
- Experience and knowledge of: IHL and IHRL and/or in conflict management & peacebuilding
- Experience of policy and advocacy work, preferably addressing EU institutions. Knowledge of the Middle East, and especially of Israel and Palestine is considered an asset
- Her/His own network of contacts in Europe and in the MENA region, ideally also in Israel and Palestine.
- A sound political judgement and excellent networking and diplomatic skills
- Strong communication skills in English, C2 or equivalent (other European languages are an asset)
- Willingness to work flexible hours and to undertake international travel
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesise and to tailor messaging to different target audiences.
Conditions and application process:
Contract’s terms and benefits:
- Open-ended contract subject to ability of funding and performance.
- Salary in accordance with ACT Alliance EU salary scales (€3,900 to €4,200 gross per month depending on experience)
- Contribution toward professional development training up for up to 1,500 €/year.
- Lunch vouchers, local travel contribution, hospitalisation insurance
- Travel to European countries and to Israel & Palestine, as needed and within budget.
- Send your application - including your CV, references and a motivation letter to [email protected]
- Specify in the subject: “Middle East Policy Officer application + SURNAME + NAME”
- Closing date to submit application: Sunday 14 October 2017 (00:00 GMT+2)
- Interviews: will be held in late October / early November (by skype).
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org