The Media Relations and Communications Specialist is responsible for serving as the primary contact for reporters, editors, and producers, drafting and pitching press releases, and cultivating new relationships by reaching out to press who are new to the beat. Beyond these efforts, this individual will work with a team of specialists on social media, marketing, and web communication to develop a broad approach to disseminating PIIE’s research while insuring the integrity of its nonpartisan, fact-based brand. The Media Relations and Communications Specialist is also specifically responsible for collecting and analyzing data on outreach and media coverage, following the daily news cycle to insert PIIE’s research into the discussion, and preparing reports on communications efforts, which are presented to the Board of Directors. This position is occasionally expected to be available to manage press queries on weekends and evenings after normal business hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees and monitors all media engagements and promotes PIIE research under the direction of the Vice President for Publications and Communications;
- Follows the daily news cycle and all PIIE research, identifying opportunities for promoting PIIE fellows and content in the media;
- Serves as primary contact for news media, responding and scheduling interview requests and broadcast recordings at the Institute’s onsite radio and TV studios;
- Tracks media requests and coverage and provides quarterly media analyses;
- Maintains and cultivates relationships with media contacts and creates and updates press lists in Raiser’s Edge database or other databases;
- Advises on social media, marketing, and communications efforts with insights on current events, scholar specialties, research, and public brand awareness;
- Drafts, edits, and disseminates press releases, media advisories, announcements of meetings, and blurbs highlighting media coverage on website and e-newsletter;
- Prepares annual report highlighting total press citations and assessing the media impact of Institute activities and initiatives;
- Works independently with PIIE research staff to craft compelling pitches and approaches appropriate journalists with story ideas;
- Supervises media training for scholars with the help of outside trainers;
- Promotes events to reporters through emailed event advisories;
- Registers and serves as liaison for press at large events, works with representatives of speakers from outside organizations, and also coordinates small lunches for journalists;
- Initiates and organizes conference calls with press and assists with technical support and setup of audio-visual equipment during live events at the Institute.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, international relations, economics, or related field;
- Two years of relevant work experience;
- Demonstrated effective, strong communication skills (verbal, written, and listening) and excellent interpersonal skills at all levels of business, with a strong orientation towards providing outstanding internal and external customer service;
- Ability to distill complex research into clear and concise messages
- Availability after normal business hours, on weekends, and holidays, as required;
- Ability to multitask in a busy, high-volume environment and effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines;
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities;
- Track record of media placement success;
- Crisis and reputation management experience;
- Nonprofit background a plus;
- Interest in economic issues or learning about such issues a plus.
Monday through Friday; 40 hours per week. Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the position. This individual is expected to be available by phone and email after business hours, on weekends, and on holidays, as required.
Send resume, cover letter, three writing samples, and salary expectations to the communications department, with “Media Relations and Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org