Americares global health programs seek to confront crisis and create change by developing pathways to health and opportunity. We support individuals, families, and their communities to realize improved health outcomes that lead to years of improved health, so they can reach their full potential. The Global Program teams at the organization lead this work, working with our partners in over 40 countries through our Access to Medicines and Medical Consumables and reaching a total of 84 countries and 50 states through our work annually.
Americares responds to 25-30 disasters a year in the US and around the world. Our goal is to save lives and protect and improve health threatened by disasters. We achieve this by providing medicines and medical supplies, restoring health facilities and strengthening health systems, providing mental health and psychosocial support, and preventing the spread of disease.
The Country Director at Americares in Puerto Rico will play the lead role in organizing and mobilizing Americares recovery and long-term programming efforts on the island. She/he will collaboratively design and lead the implementation of long-term interventions ranging from emergency preparedness and continued recovery efforts, to health system strengthening, mental health and psychosocial support programs, among others. The overarching objective is to improve health through development and implementation of an active and high-impact portfolio of programs in Puerto Rico. Core to this effort will be creating new and maintaining existing relationships across the public and private sectors in Puerto Rico.
Strong organizational skills and higher function administrative abilities will be critical. The country director will provide regular direction and leadership and the day-to-day oversight of the San Juan office, currently comprised of 35 staff. The Director will also oversee and support the implementation of all programs and will work closely with Americares staff at Headquarters to ensure high quality operations and programming.
While this position reports to the Director of the LAC and Caribbean region, the country director will work closely with, and get support from, various functional support personnel located at Americares headquarters office in Stamford, Connecticut.
Finally, the incumbent will serve as the senior representative of and an advocate for Americares – the organization, its management and its employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Country Director will have overall functional accountability for all programs and strategies in Puerto Rico. Responsibilities will include the following:
Core Americares areas and programs
- Lead strategic program design and implementation in close partnership with technical and management units at headquarters
- Oversee current program implementation, including timely communication with HQ regarding potential new program opportunities
- Ensure appropriate budget development, management, and expense reporting of projects in accordance with HQ and donor requirements
- Oversee operations, including procurement, and management of Americares gift-in-kind operations
Corporate and Institutional Relations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the public and private sector in Puerto Rico to build awareness of and support for Americares programs in PR
- Engage in fundraising and partnership efforts
- Obtain authorization from HQ to pursue all new donor and partner opportunities and commitments of Americares resources beyond approved limits
- As the organization’s senior representative in Puerto Rico, represent Americares values, strategies, and work with donors, partners, and government
Human Resources Management
- Maintain local organization structure and staffing to manage critical functions of this operation while ensuring compliance with local labor laws.
- Build effective team of support in various program streams.
- Recruit key operations staff as needed.
- Ensure appropriate staff development and performance management accordance with Americares policies
- Establish the appropriate processes and tools for planning, budgeting, reporting and monitoring.
- Ensure Americares Puerto Rico complies with HQ and local requirements, including timely financial reporting to HQ as required.
- Facilitate all audits and follow up on all audit comments and recommendations.
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete annual budget submissions and revisions.
- Maintain report processes to be compatible with Americares accounting/audit requirements.
- Advanced degree in business administration, program management, international development, international relations, public health, or equivalent required
- 10 years of experience leading/managing a field office
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interface with high level government authorities, multilateral organizations, NGOs and the private sector
- Deep understanding of the Puerto Rican culture and ample experience working locally
- Proven relationship management skills in a mission-focused organization, where excellence and accountability are cultural norms
- Health program development and implementation experience required
- Full professional competency in both English and Spanish required
- Knowledge of emergency programming principles and practices, and familiarity with key stakeholders in the field
- Practical knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
- A leader with a demonstrated ability to promote an organizational culture that values excellence, respect, teamwork and collaboration. Sound judgment and skills in balancing employee advocacy and management priorities
- A mature, confident individual with a strong executive presence and the ability to deliver sound, meaningful and forthright direction
- Ability to identify critical hurdles in the operations and take effective steps to address and overcome these issues in close coordination with headquarters
- A person with a genuine belief in the mission of Americares and an abiding interest in global issues
- A leader with excellent influencing skills, one who is approachable and open
- A team-oriented individual who is comfortable and accustomed to working in a complex, group environment, and with exceptionally bright, engaged and talented individuals
- An individual who inspires confidence, who can quickly capture the trust and respect of Americares leaders, stakeholders and staff
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org